Sensory issues with sleep

Does anyone ellse tend to have an overactive brain before they go to bed? Like if your staying some where different like at a relative's house you can't sleep well unless it's your own bed. Other people's houses freak me out at night time. I can literally here everything from pipes creeking to floor boards to the wind outside. Then my over imagination kikcs in and thinks there must be somone there when reality I do t beleive in ghosts but old Victorian propperties really creep me out. I sleep fine in my house but when we stay at families houses not so much. 

Parents
  • Yes. It's actually normal to sleep less well if you aren't in your own bed, even for neurotypicals. Apparently you sleep lighter because your brain is more "on alert" since you are in an unknown location. It usually takes one or two nights to be able to sleep comfortably in a new location.

But it is even worse for autistic people because we are easily bothered by noises and also to struggle with change.

• Yeah like even in my house I tend be up all night as my house backs on to a drive away so can here cats out on the gravel or other animals at night even neighbors getting back and late stuff. Then in the early hours cause there's a bush next to the drive I'm woken up by a flock of birds cherping which drive me nuts. It's got more annoying since our village has expanded into more suburb's as now there's more noise from both directions. 

• Get a water pistol and squirt the cats. Harmless (fun) and they will learn to stay away.

• squirt the cats

That's so mean it's funny!!! Cat's are meant to be Autistic. You'd water squirt your own kind? :-) It reminds me of when one of the neighbours cats was luxuriating in someones driveway.  They blasted the horn to be able to park.  I've never seen a cat expand and jump so high.  It was beyond hilarious - poor mog.  He's a lovely cat too.

• squirt the cats

That's so mean it's funny!!! Cat's are meant to be Autistic. You'd water squirt your own kind? :-) It reminds me of when one of the neighbours cats was luxuriating in someones driveway.  They blasted the horn to be able to park.  I've never seen a cat expand and jump so high.  It was beyond hilarious - poor mog.  He's a lovely cat too.

Children
No Data