Suicide prevention in autism group

I have been running a small group of academics for suicide prevention in autism for a few months now and I feel we may get something useful. Included in the group are Prof Simon Baron Cohen and Sara Cassidy. We share ideas , but I seem to be coming up with the major ones.

there’s a group of autistic people which has met to discuss this and concluded we are never taken seriously, drugs are pretty useless, psychiatrists response is poor and inappropriate.

I have been trying for funding and help to have an autistic arm to the Stay Alive  app. The app seems well researched and well supported 

We could include a Database studying online suicidal ideation in Autism as well as specific routes of advice.

my big idea is to have an Alexa type artificial intelligence system to offer an online reply consultation with the computer. No humans involved as I have found Samaritans etc, kind but always avoid advice.

This system could give research based advice as my experience of mental health services are thats they are terrible with suicidal ideation in autism 

what do you think?

Parents
  • Unfortunately I have two negative thoughts.

First, any app type of service means personal data is collected. Given the nature of this service you are proposing I would never wish to use it because of privacy concerns. Especially if the app ended up being available on the Services of big tech companies like Google, apple etc. It would be a disaster.

Second, by offering advice are you not setting yourself up for major legal headaches? Liability issues? Seems a nightmare to have to deal with. Samaritans probably avoid advice for a reason.

Sounds like you may not have much commercial or practical experience with taking things to market. I would put on hold any further planning on next steps until you get someone on board that has the relevant skills and experience in these areas.

• Unfortunately I have two negative thoughts.

First, any app type of service means personal data is collected. Given the nature of this service you are proposing I would never wish to use it because of privacy concerns. Especially if the app ended up being available on the Services of big tech companies like Google, apple etc. It would be a disaster.

Second, by offering advice are you not setting yourself up for major legal headaches? Liability issues? Seems a nightmare to have to deal with. Samaritans probably avoid advice for a reason.

Sounds like you may not have much commercial or practical experience with taking things to market. I would put on hold any further planning on next steps until you get someone on board that has the relevant skills and experience in these areas.

Children