Mental health....not what I expected

So, had a long history of anxiety and depression.  Lately become very exhausted....I'm prone to "walking" when I can't handle things.

Thought I'd had a breakdown and finally asked for help from my doctor.  I was referred to the mental health crisis team.  I was assessed on the phone and asked to come in for a face to face.....

I was just expecting to be offered  more tablets (never worked) and diagnosed with a personality disorder or schizophrenia....

Halway through, I was asked if it was OK to do a ASD questionnaire.....never heard of it and when asked what it was.....I was abit taken back.  Sure, anyway...I scored a high level and will be referred for I don't know what next or how long that takes.  I was assured I wasn't mental at the end anyway but now feel in limbo abit.

I'm 41.....I've gone through life trying to convince myself I was normal, and since they've mentioned asd.....I've realised I'm really not.....but that's OK.  It kind of makes sense, my life and how I think.  

Anyone else in the same boat? 

Parents
  • Yep - exactly the same here.  No formal diagnosis yet but still processing the fact that I am quite far up the ASD range.  It's all good and it is who you are.  Maybe you will change how you go about things but all self knowledge is good.  Think of ASD as your superpower and you just have to try and harness the best bits to make your life better and minimize the not so good bits

• Yep - exactly the same here.  No formal diagnosis yet but still processing the fact that I am quite far up the ASD range.  It's all good and it is who you are.  Maybe you will change how you go about things but all self knowledge is good.  Think of ASD as your superpower and you just have to try and harness the best bits to make your life better and minimize the not so good bits

Children
  • That's the limbo isn't it Paul, always knew something wasn't right and tried to fit in.....but.....I can't.  People make no sense to me to be honest, but I do have good qualities and a sense of humour, so my look at the positives and move forward and not beat myself up anymore about being "different"