Diagnosis at 34

Hi all,

I am 34, dyslexic but no diagnosis of autism.

Two close family members of mine have been diagnosed with autism in the past 2 years.

After some time off work with Mental Health issues and subsequently leaving, I am starting to think I may be autistic too.

I often struggle with social situations (not servery but noticeably). I struggle a lot with change and disorganization (a large part of my leaving my job). I also struggle a lot with particular noise stimuli (particularly road noise/traffic) to the point where I just have to leave / go somewhere without noise.

These things haven't held me back too much (I am a reasonably successful product designer) but after leaving 2 good jobs because of Mental Health / burnout, deteriorating professional relationships (Which in my opinion have arisen from poor management. Possibly due my me need to be managed differently?) I am starting to wonder if there is more too my mental Health issues and my inability to stay in a job for 2-3 years.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does this sound like it could be autism / related to autism?
And if so, does anyone have any advice on how to move forward / get assessed?

Thanks,

WR

Parents
  • Hi WR, well I've had jobs I enjoyed and was good at but seemed to burnout from - exhaustion of the sensory issues on the commute or the constant need to interpret social situations.  And I've had jobs where the processing demands of constant task switching haven't suited me.  It does quite quickly make you feel ill.  Generally, i;ve managed to maneouvre myself into a role better suited to me or located with better travel, but yes, I can relate.

And yes, indeed, these things could be ASD related, particularly if you have it in the wider family.  Only a proper diagnosis would tell you that for absolute sure and give you the legal protections for employment etc, but not everyone wants the 'label' that goes with it.  There's nothing stopping you self diagnosing though and using any tips, tricks or gadgets, such as noise cancelling headphones or the principle of 'energy accounting' to see if these improve things for you.

• Hi Dawn,
    Thank you for your reply.

As I was reading your reply things were jumping out at me as relatable. Interruptions and task switching I struggled with in my last job.

It sounds like a bit of a journey to find a job and employer that works for you. I think this is why I'm asking these questions. I need to figure out my needs first and a diagnosis / help might help me with this.

I do use noise canceling headphones. Never heard of "energy accounting" before. I will look into that.

Thank you :)

• Hi Dawn,
    Thank you for your reply.

As I was reading your reply things were jumping out at me as relatable. Interruptions and task switching I struggled with in my last job.

It sounds like a bit of a journey to find a job and employer that works for you. I think this is why I'm asking these questions. I need to figure out my needs first and a diagnosis / help might help me with this.

I do use noise canceling headphones. Never heard of "energy accounting" before. I will look into that.

Thank you :)

Children
No Data