Autism, Anxiety, Depression, Crohn's and my relationship

Hi all, 

I am really struggling at the moment.  I have massive anxiety issues regarding all kinds of things, and am constantly catastrophising about all sorts of subjects. 

I worry about my mental and physical health (depression, anxiety and Crohn's), I worry about my parents aging (they are both in their 70's now), I worry about the stability of my relationship with my fianceé (my constant negativity, catastrophising and worrying are wearing on her big time), the wellbeing of my daughter and future stepson (he is struggling badly at school with a speech delay and behavioural issues), and also about the state of my health generally.

Does anyone else here deal with constant catastrophising when reacting to future possibilities and changing situations?  Is anyone the NT partner of someone who does the same?  How do you cope with these behaviours, and how can I improve things?  I love my partner to bits, and it hurts that I am having such a negative impact on her wellbeing.

I have very little in the way of self-confidence, have always struggled with holding down jobs (although I am not intellectually disabled), and haven't worked since June 2017.  Obviously I now have a family to take care of at home, but I just feel incredibly down. My family and her mother are now at odds over it, and I just want to make things better.  I'm desperate for help, and have contacted several therapists with a view to regular therapy, as well as my local council-funded Autism support organisation (The Independence Trust's Community Autism Support Service. 

I have very little in the way of self-confidence, have always struggled with holding down jobs (although I am not intellectually disabled), and haven't worked since June 2017.  Obviously I now have a family to take care of at home, but I just feel incredibly down. 

I am currently also taking antidepressants, and immunosuppressant medication for my Crohn's (meaning I have felt super vulnerable during the pandemic).  My Crohn's is giving me issues, and I have next to no energy.  I just wonder what the point in me is sometimes?

Anyway, sorry for the long post.  Any help would be amazing, or even just hearing from people who understand.

Take care. 

• I did used to practice Zazen (Zen meditation), which was helpful, but I strayed away from it.  I definitely think mindfulness is helpful, but I have to work on the discipline to keep it up!

Thanks for your response! 

• Yeah, I was advised when I was diagnosed with ASC that CBT can be super helpful.  I have a couple of initial telephone appointments set up with therapists, so will definitely be bringing that up when I talk to them!

Sorry to hear you are struggling with catastrophising as well.  It's definitely difficult, but I am determined to overcome it and deal with it.  Do you have any suggestions for books worth my time?  Thanks! 

• A good way to reduce anxiety is mindfulness though its not for everyone.  If you are focusing on a sense (such as listening to noises around you) then your brain can't focus on thoughts/feelings so you get a break from worries, but you have to keep refocussing every few seconds as your mind wants to focus on itself again.

• Hi, and welcome.  Obviously, you can't do anything about having Crohns, but you can certainly avoid catastrophising and you can work on reducing your anxiety.  You may need CBT to help with this, or use self-help books,  Its not easy, I'm having to work on these myself, but a good start is to stop being negative about yourself or your situation, and then start working on positive things.  Focus on what you can control, you can't control your Crohns and but you can accept it as something you and many others have to live with.

If you think about us humans being here to learn and challenge ourselves then that gives you a point, and you can add that starting point.