Just been diognosed heard all negitive not positive

Hi I am pop and I had my.offical dionosis come though yesterday but it was all the negatives and it made me really down. I was wondering is anyone new the benefits to being autistic or is it just all bad?

Parents
  • I think that the problem lies with the diagnostic process and the (very limitied and out of date?) diagnostic criteria from the ever-expanding DSM.  All very pathologising and very little on our strengths.  It threw me for a bit because the focus was definitely on the negatives but I believe the reality is rather different and I'm coming to a more settled view with the help of groups and websites that are autistic-led (Ausome Training, Kristy Forbes, The Autistic Advocate, Aucademy and more).   

These days I'm wondering whether it would have been healthier for me to simply self identify and bypass the medicalised deficit model of diagnosis.

• I think that the problem lies with the diagnostic process and the (very limitied and out of date?) diagnostic criteria from the ever-expanding DSM.  All very pathologising and very little on our strengths.  It threw me for a bit because the focus was definitely on the negatives but I believe the reality is rather different and I'm coming to a more settled view with the help of groups and websites that are autistic-led (Ausome Training, Kristy Forbes, The Autistic Advocate, Aucademy and more).   

These days I'm wondering whether it would have been healthier for me to simply self identify and bypass the medicalised deficit model of diagnosis.

Children
No Data