Advice with diagnosis

Hello,

I am planning on speaking to the doctors this week about starting my diagnosis journey and I would really appreciate any advice. I recently started a PGCE teaching course (about 12 weeks ago) and initially it was going OK but then as the work load increased and the University started to mix up the groups I was working with, placing me with new people who I had never met to complete projects with, it was just too much. I came home that evening and felt absolutely burnt out and since then I have had to take time away from the course. This is what has led me to finally wanting to get my diagnosis and if anyone that has been through their diagnosis could offer any advice on what to expect then I would really appreciate that.

Thank you,

Adam

Parents
  • Hi! I'm recently diagnosed and at the same point in my PGCE and it is VERY overwhelming. I love teaching and being in the classroom but I struggle with getting my lesson plans in on time and organising and prioritising. And then having neurotypical people give me organisation advice which I know won't work for me is very irritating. If you get a diagnosis (which your uni might be able to help with!) you can get a school access plan in place which is a bit like and academic access plan and should help you out a bit! 

As for the assessment/diagnosis it was exhausting and very emotional but ultimately felt very worth it. Receiving my diagnosis was such a relief, but has also left me feeling confused, frustrated and just sad for myself and all the things I put myself through when I thought I was just being lazy, fussy or rude. For me, the diagnostic process was about a 5/6 hour process spread out over a few weeks. I asked my GP for help accessing a diagnosis in March/April 2021, had my first appointment mid August and last appointment late September and my diagnosis earlier this month, which isn't too long of a process compared to many others.

• Hi! I'm recently diagnosed and at the same point in my PGCE and it is VERY overwhelming. I love teaching and being in the classroom but I struggle with getting my lesson plans in on time and organising and prioritising. And then having neurotypical people give me organisation advice which I know won't work for me is very irritating. If you get a diagnosis (which your uni might be able to help with!) you can get a school access plan in place which is a bit like and academic access plan and should help you out a bit! 

As for the assessment/diagnosis it was exhausting and very emotional but ultimately felt very worth it. Receiving my diagnosis was such a relief, but has also left me feeling confused, frustrated and just sad for myself and all the things I put myself through when I thought I was just being lazy, fussy or rude. For me, the diagnostic process was about a 5/6 hour process spread out over a few weeks. I asked my GP for help accessing a diagnosis in March/April 2021, had my first appointment mid August and last appointment late September and my diagnosis earlier this month, which isn't too long of a process compared to many others.

Children
No Data