adult diagnosis - woman in her late 40s

It was suggested to me by my psychotherapist in the summer that I might be autistic.  I have since done a lot of research and can identify with some of the signs but not all of them.  Although my GP has agreed to refer me for an assessment, I sense that he has not taken it that seriously and doesn't believe that I'm actually autistic.  I have learnt that girls and women are good at hiding their difficulties and, being in my late 40s now, I will have learnt to adapt to survive so far.  Does anyone have any advice they can give me about what it's like for a woman in her forties to pursue a diagnosis?  Also, does anyone share my sense that they can really identify with some symptoms of being on the spectrum but not all of them?  I feel I would benefit from talking to someone who has already been through the experience and any help or advice they can give me.

Parents
  • Since doing research for my son who has some autistic behaviours, I realised that I had some of the traits too. I have suffered with depression and anxiety, and after being bullied at work for a long time finally got to the stage where I could not pretend I was ok any more. I was on long term sick leave a s then left my job. After feeling a bit better, I asked my GP to refer me for an ASC assessment. I waited 9 months then had a screening apt locally. I was so anxious they would not offer me an assessment. I was told I was entitled to a 2nd opinion so I asked my GP to refer me to the Lorna Wing Centre. He obtained out of county funding, this was agreed in Feb 2020. It all went quiet, then I chased them up recently and found out I am at the top of the waiting list! Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

• Since doing research for my son who has some autistic behaviours, I realised that I had some of the traits too. I have suffered with depression and anxiety, and after being bullied at work for a long time finally got to the stage where I could not pretend I was ok any more. I was on long term sick leave a s then left my job. After feeling a bit better, I asked my GP to refer me for an ASC assessment. I waited 9 months then had a screening apt locally. I was so anxious they would not offer me an assessment. I was told I was entitled to a 2nd opinion so I asked my GP to refer me to the Lorna Wing Centre. He obtained out of county funding, this was agreed in Feb 2020. It all went quiet, then I chased them up recently and found out I am at the top of the waiting list! Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Children