adult diagnosis - woman in her late 40s

It was suggested to me by my psychotherapist in the summer that I might be autistic.  I have since done a lot of research and can identify with some of the signs but not all of them.  Although my GP has agreed to refer me for an assessment, I sense that he has not taken it that seriously and doesn't believe that I'm actually autistic.  I have learnt that girls and women are good at hiding their difficulties and, being in my late 40s now, I will have learnt to adapt to survive so far.  Does anyone have any advice they can give me about what it's like for a woman in her forties to pursue a diagnosis?  Also, does anyone share my sense that they can really identify with some symptoms of being on the spectrum but not all of them?  I feel I would benefit from talking to someone who has already been through the experience and any help or advice they can give me.

Parents
  • I am in my thirties and was diagnosed this year. The first 'professional' I spoke to about this laughed at me, so definitely don't expect everyone in the medical profession to understand a slightly less 'typical' presentation of autism. But you know yourself better than anyone, and I don't think it's ever too late to try and learn more about yourself.

If you haven't already, I would definitely recommend reading Women and Girls with Autism Spectrum Disorder by Sarah Hendrickx. I didn't identify with everything in this book, but I don't know if anyone ever does... 

I'm not sure where you are based, but I would also say that the Lorna Wing Centre are well recognised for their work in understanding that the presentation in women can be very different. 

• I am in my thirties and was diagnosed this year. The first 'professional' I spoke to about this laughed at me, so definitely don't expect everyone in the medical profession to understand a slightly less 'typical' presentation of autism. But you know yourself better than anyone, and I don't think it's ever too late to try and learn more about yourself.

If you haven't already, I would definitely recommend reading Women and Girls with Autism Spectrum Disorder by Sarah Hendrickx. I didn't identify with everything in this book, but I don't know if anyone ever does... 

I'm not sure where you are based, but I would also say that the Lorna Wing Centre are well recognised for their work in understanding that the presentation in women can be very different. 

Children
No Data