Clothes

Does anyone else feel affected by the clothes they wear? I find like different ways of dressing trigger me and affect my personality.

Like if I dress a certain way I feel like I will behave a certain way or that I should behave a certain way. If I wear a different sort of outfit I feel I need to behave differently or act differently

I also get quite stressed if I feel my clothes dont go together. Like normal casual clothes on top and sportier clothes on bottom for instance

Haircuts are quite a stressful trigger for me as well

Just wondered whether clothes can be a trigger for anyone else or is it just me?

Parents
  • Even casual clothing feels like a costume for me sometimes. Like I'm putting on the appearance of a human. I've no idea why, because I don't think the clothing itself has any stressing effect on me, but it feels like just an extension of the mask somehow. And the effect is much stronger in work clothes.

I only feel truly comfortable in a particular line of shoes, any others make me uneasy. And I really feel at home in a long coat, something that goes down to my knees. I couldn't possibly explain why that is, only that it makes me feel more like my true self? I find it encourages the mask to slip a little bit when I wear one - something that's been noticed by my family members too, so it can't be a coincidence or my imagination. Only I loathe having my shoulders or legs bare, but that could just be my anxiety.

And I agree with others about keeping pyjamas on at home - oftentimes changing in proper clothing just feels like too much effort for some reason.

• I wear particular brands of shoe too - always either Victoria Plimsolls, Natural World plimsolls, Doc Martins or Aigle Wellington boots. With the plimsolls I usually have two new pairs ready so that when my current pair wear out I know I’ve got some more ready. They’re so comfortable. 

• I wear particular brands of shoe too - always either Victoria Plimsolls, Natural World plimsolls, Doc Martins or Aigle Wellington boots. With the plimsolls I usually have two new pairs ready so that when my current pair wear out I know I’ve got some more ready. They’re so comfortable. 

Children
No Data