Early childhood questionnaire

Hi all,

I have posted similar about this before but I am a 35 year old female looking into diagnosis.

I am thinking of going private because of the 2 year NHS waiting list in my area, but the first part of assessment seems to be an early childhood questionnaire which asks about any signs of autism in my early years. It says that for autism to be diagnosed, there must have been signs present in early childhood. I have been through a similar questionnaire with my mother before with the NHS, and it seems as though I was a child with 'normal' development, and it doesn't seem as though I did have any autistic traits then, according to her. I somehow doubt this as although I can't remember much of my childhood, I feel really do have a lot of traits as an adult woman.

The only strong traits I had as a child are that I was very quiet, painfully shy, with a dislike of loud noises, and that I was an early talker and reader, with a talent for playing the piano and memorising music. I had no learning disabilities, no particular special interests, and was able to make and keep friends, although usually had one best friend who I clung onto.

I am a bit worried that based on this questionnaire, the assessor will not be able to take my assessment further (worried both about the cost, and the feeling that if I am not autistic, then what am I?). I'm not sure whether to involve my mother in this early years questionnaire, or to fill it out myself, although this feels a bit strange.

Anyone have any similar worries/ experiences of assessment?

Thanks in advance Slight smile

• Thank you Martin. I was definitely uncomfortable at school and feigned illness to avoid going on occasions, also had problems transitioning from primary to secondary school. Had an extreme phobia of any kind of public speaking, including answering in class. But unfortunately most of these behaviours started at secondary school for me, and the questionnaire specifies 'prior to secondary school.' Maybe I will just mention them anyway.

• Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not the only one worried about this. I just hope that they assessor will look at later behaviours and not just those from early life. Worried

• Yes, those types of things are what they are looking for. 

• I used to panic and literally run away from the phone if it rang in case my mother asked me to answer it for her! Same with answering the door! 

• Maybe I wasn't looking at the right questionnaire!!

• Things like not being comfortable at, or hating, school. Feigning illness to avoid school. Feeling anxiety about going to school. Having difficulties transitioning between classes and schools. Tying shoelaces or learning to ride a bike late.Being asked questions by adults you didn't know well and your mother having to answer for you, or having to prompt you. Feeling shy, not liking to answer questions in class or read aloud. All these sort of things are grist to the mill. 

• I can see why you're concerned about this. I've just looked at the questionnaire online and I'm now concerned that I'm not going to being able to get a diagnosis as well.

The questions don't allow for more the subtle aspects of child behaviour and it should do, after all autism is a spectrum disorder. Maybe the questionnaire is a little out-dated, possibly designed prior to autism being regarded as a spectrum disorder. 

I can only hope that the questionnaire is just one of many aspects that the professionals look at and it itself isn't definitive.

• I can relate to that, my sister filled in the form for my early childhood as both our parents are passed away and she didn't put any traits down for me.  I have been reading somewhere that you can show more traits as you get older so I think this insistence on looking at childhood is not right for everyone