Self identified at 56 years old

Hi everyone! This is all new to me! I have recently self identified as autistic at 56. I have been referred to and accepted by the autism assessment team but there is a 3 1/2 year waiting list. Since the penny dropped, I have become increasingly scared, bewildered, angry, depressed, feeling defective, and that my entire life has been a lie. I am I assume, high functioning, I have a masters degree, I have had good jobs, I have brought up a child alone whilst doing all of the above. At the moment I feel like I have opened pandoras box and really want to put the lid back on as I really don't like what's in it! I also feel like a bit of a fake in that I've got this far without any problems but realising that actually, I've always had problems. I guess I just want someone to say this is all normal? Thank you for reading!

Parents
  • Continue to manage your life as you have been doing successfully. Truth is, there is no normal. Each person is managing their life with something. So continue as you are, learning to manage who you are. It's okay. When the assessment comes, whatever the outcome, it doesn't change anything. Don't let anything take away your peace. Look after your mental health and your health. Be stable. You are an encouragement to others. All the very, very best to you and your family.

• Continue to manage your life as you have been doing successfully. Truth is, there is no normal. Each person is managing their life with something. So continue as you are, learning to manage who you are. It's okay. When the assessment comes, whatever the outcome, it doesn't change anything. Don't let anything take away your peace. Look after your mental health and your health. Be stable. You are an encouragement to others. All the very, very best to you and your family.

Children
  • I would be interested to hear more detail on what it means to look after your mental health and your health. How do you practically achieve the aim to 'be stable'? Also, I would be useful to know how you identify success. Many thanks