Self identified at 56 years old

Hi everyone! This is all new to me! I have recently self identified as autistic at 56. I have been referred to and accepted by the autism assessment team but there is a 3 1/2 year waiting list. Since the penny dropped, I have become increasingly scared, bewildered, angry, depressed, feeling defective, and that my entire life has been a lie. I am I assume, high functioning, I have a masters degree, I have had good jobs, I have brought up a child alone whilst doing all of the above. At the moment I feel like I have opened pandoras box and really want to put the lid back on as I really don't like what's in it! I also feel like a bit of a fake in that I've got this far without any problems but realising that actually, I've always had problems. I guess I just want someone to say this is all normal? Thank you for reading!

Parents
  • When I first came to see myself as very much fitting within the spectrum of said traits ... that would otherwise define me with yet - 'just another' label ... I thought 'well that's nice, that explains a lot'  Yet for me, nothing was really new.  I still remained the person I was before, during and after.  Over identification combined with an inherent need to belong whilst living in a world more serpated than not - I have found to be more problematic, than you average citizens perspective on another's categorization. 

I always find it noteworthy, how often and how quick' individuals first define just how highly intellectual they be, when identifying as on the spectrum.  In the year of 2021 it is commonly known that people on the spectrum are not mute, yet this continuing pattern where people 'coming out' with being on the spectrum most first focus on intellectual prowess sets in motion a stereotype within itself.  Like I say, Noteworthy.    

As someone also on the spectrum as high functioning, I often ponder how it is that we live  in an age of overidentification. 

When I discovered a new way of looking at things, or had come to understand why others acted as they did regarding 'me' - who I have always been - I did not become angry or upset.  Perhaps I was somewhat saddened but the way I figure it, the only ones who have missed out are others who simply did not understand me.  The fact that this world in my view continues to thrive on what it does, as it does - whilst frustrating is more depressing.  I see that as more fragmented than the level to which I find myself on.  That same division is well at hand within self made communities where the dynamics of my noteworthy observations I see as being part and parcel in how we inadvertently; separate ourselves.  Again - Noteworthy.

So with all that said, Welcome to the CLUB!  Not a mentality I myself gell with ... but whatever works.  I understand it's a nice feeling to belong.  Personally I find it overwhelming to be in any group as I see them to be plagued as they be. This facet of group mentality, I find often taints what I find makes me special and unique, what makes me - me.  I also see that dynamic hemming others in ... holding them back.  

I'm 52 and have many labels. My intellectual ability is irrelevant. There are no two people who are the same on the spectrum.  We are all unique and special in our own right. 

I come and go ... not a regular in this forum.  So it is that I can talk so freely on such matters without have to worry about a social score.  I wish you well in this new journey as you may see it.  I propose we are the same as we have always been and suggest as cliental within a consumer world, we would do well not to be swept away in this industrialized age of self identity.  There is a reason the term 'spectrum' has been brought into the equation and it helps to understand that the point on which any of us find ourselves to be ... is always moving.

All the best. 

• When I first came to see myself as very much fitting within the spectrum of said traits ... that would otherwise define me with yet - 'just another' label ... I thought 'well that's nice, that explains a lot'  Yet for me, nothing was really new.  I still remained the person I was before, during and after.  Over identification combined with an inherent need to belong whilst living in a world more serpated than not - I have found to be more problematic, than you average citizens perspective on another's categorization. 

I always find it noteworthy, how often and how quick' individuals first define just how highly intellectual they be, when identifying as on the spectrum.  In the year of 2021 it is commonly known that people on the spectrum are not mute, yet this continuing pattern where people 'coming out' with being on the spectrum most first focus on intellectual prowess sets in motion a stereotype within itself.  Like I say, Noteworthy.    

As someone also on the spectrum as high functioning, I often ponder how it is that we live  in an age of overidentification. 

When I discovered a new way of looking at things, or had come to understand why others acted as they did regarding 'me' - who I have always been - I did not become angry or upset.  Perhaps I was somewhat saddened but the way I figure it, the only ones who have missed out are others who simply did not understand me.  The fact that this world in my view continues to thrive on what it does, as it does - whilst frustrating is more depressing.  I see that as more fragmented than the level to which I find myself on.  That same division is well at hand within self made communities where the dynamics of my noteworthy observations I see as being part and parcel in how we inadvertently; separate ourselves.  Again - Noteworthy.

So with all that said, Welcome to the CLUB!  Not a mentality I myself gell with ... but whatever works.  I understand it's a nice feeling to belong.  Personally I find it overwhelming to be in any group as I see them to be plagued as they be. This facet of group mentality, I find often taints what I find makes me special and unique, what makes me - me.  I also see that dynamic hemming others in ... holding them back.  

I'm 52 and have many labels. My intellectual ability is irrelevant. There are no two people who are the same on the spectrum.  We are all unique and special in our own right. 

I come and go ... not a regular in this forum.  So it is that I can talk so freely on such matters without have to worry about a social score.  I wish you well in this new journey as you may see it.  I propose we are the same as we have always been and suggest as cliental within a consumer world, we would do well not to be swept away in this industrialized age of self identity.  There is a reason the term 'spectrum' has been brought into the equation and it helps to understand that the point on which any of us find ourselves to be ... is always moving.

All the best. 

Children
No Data