Numerology. How many of you is master numbers?

Anyone?

Parents
  • Personally, I have never been interested in numbers. For me, there is a beauty in the rules of the grammar of languages that has always captivated me more than numbers. The patterns and rules of a grammar are much more intricate. Numbers, for me, offer little interest because of their limited surface structure, but language has both a surface structure and a deep structure, which is why any computer can perform calculations. No computer, up to now, has ever been able to reproduce language. 

• And the etymology of words is fascinating e.g. most English words are actually French due to the Norman invasion of 1066. We've just Anglicised them. I was quite disappointed to find that out tbh.

Reply Children
  • Maybe...but I wish the Americans would realise they aren't the only ones to be invaded.

I just thought, I wonder if limiting the genders in languages reflects on how many human genders people understand...

• We would probably still have three genders - masculine, feminine and neuter. We have a lot to thank the Normans for. 

• Yes, I don't want to be rude but I know all that. Hopefully other people will learn from it.

Did I tell you about this book (I can't get the font any smaller)

How We'd Talk If the English Had Won in 1066

smile.amazon.co.uk/.../0755211677

It's how the English language would have continued if the Norman French hadn't conquered us in 1066. Many of the words are understandable but as the book continues, they go out of the window as we've forgotten them.

What annoys me is when Americans say 'you Brits, you don't know what it's like to be invaded.' Er...None of our monarchs were born in England or spoke English for 300 years! Not even considering the previous invasions of Britain Rofl 

• I've studied the origins of the English language. It's fascinating to me. All languages are! 

In English, we really have two dialects, or sub-languages. High English and Low English. High English evolved from Norman French and Low English from Scandinavia and other Germanic people. You can always tell if an English word is of Anglo-Saxon (Low English) origin or of French (High English) origin.  Short, informal, and simple words that have an immediate emotional impact upon us are Anglo-Saxon, whilst  longer, more formal, abstract words are French.

This is because French was spoken primarily by the aristocracy, the rich, the clergy and the so-called highly educated—whereas Anglo-Saxon was spoken by the ordinary people. It's why a pig (Anglo-Saxon word) becomes Pork (French word for pig) when cooked. The peasants farmed the pigs, but the aristocracy ate them and called it pork. The same is true for Cow/Beef and Lamb/Mutton

Sea (Anglo-Saxon)
    Ocean (French)

King/Queen (Anglo-Saxon)
    Monarch/Monarchy (French)

to ask (Anglo-Saxon)
    to question (French)

School (Anglo-Saxon)
    College/University/Academy (French)