Neurobiology - anxiety, depression, addiction, focus, stress etc.

Hi everyone, hope you are doing well today.

Firstly, a quick intro about this post. I have noticed how many people are suffering from anxiety and depression, and a few of the recent conversations on here have really concerned me, and I really don't know how to help. There are also a lot of posts about focus, or lack of, something I do actually experience on a regular basis.

I'm on this forum to try to understand myself better, understand others, and to hopefully share what I've learned with others.

I find it very difficult to understand things on an emotional level, so I like to try to understand the mechanisms behind things. If you understand the mechanisms you have a better chance of finding solutions to problems. And you have a better chance of understanding why people might be offering certain solutions. That might come from my childhood interest in science and engineering.

Anyway, to further understand myself, and others, it's easier for me to learn about the brain itself. 

And so, to the point.

-----

I've recently been watching a lot of video/podcasts by Andrew Huberman, professor of neurobiology at Stanford University School of Medicine. This month's content is all about mental health and the underlying biological mechanisms involved. He goes into neurological pathways, brain chemistry, physical/pharmaceutical interventions etc. 

He does not diagnose, nor does he recommend self-diagnosis of these conditions, and always advocates discussion with your clinician.

All he does is lay out information explaining what is actually going on in the brain at a biological/chemical level. His content is free, timestamped for ease of use, but his videos are long. They do get quite technical at times, but are very accessible and quite easy to understand.

There are a few things I've already implemented, rather sceptically, but found them to have a rather immediate effect, such as physiological sighs for reducing stress response. I have found his recent videos about depression, ADHD/focus, and the latest one about dopamine incredibly interesting and useful.

Physiological sighs video - www.youtube.com/watch

-----

I believe his content will be of interest, and useful, to anyone, but particularly those who are detail driven, of an analytical nature, and who like to understand the mechanisms at play.

*I hope this is allowable content on this forum. I'm not selling, sponsored or anything, not trying to diagnose or prescribe anything. I genuinely believe that the information he shares will be very useful to many people on this forum, to help them understand themselves and their thought processes better.*

ANDREW HUBERMAN - HUBERMAN LAB - on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndrewHubermanLab/videos

----

I hope you are all well. Take care everyone. Have a great day

Parents Reply Children
  • Yes, I'm watching his fat burning vid, E. (I've already ordered my cod liver oil supplements and made a list of fatty fish for the next shop!)

I skipped the sponsor segments after listening to the first one. He presents the sponsors' products in the same matter-of-fact way as he sets out his science—unlike the cynical hard-selling style of most YouTubers. If a YouTuber asks me to subscribe and click the bell icon for updates at any point before the last 60 seconds of their video, that's a sure sign to tell me to stop watching!

• Yes.

He does have sponsor elements in his longer vids, but they are at the beginning and end, and are time stamped too so easy to avoid.

I like that he's very up front about why he's doing what he's doing.

• I've just started the physiological sigh video, and already I like his style. No nonsense, no selling, no marketing... just the results of his findings. I'm looking forward to hearing more.