Masking- your thoughts appreciated

Hi all, would appreciate your thoughts on this.

As a recently diagnosed older person, I am now starting to realize, after reading a lot of other People's stuff on this site, that I have been masking more or less my whole life.

Some say you should drop the mask now that you know you have as, and show your real self.

I have given this a lot of thought over the last few days, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea- for me anyway.

The masking I've developed over the last 50 years or so seems to get me bye, and is more or less socially acceptable (when I can keep it up, which is most of the time)

But when I really look at the 'real' me, I don't think it would be a good idea to show myself.

The real me doesn't seem to like others (in the main), and can be mean spirited, shy and recluse and judgemental.

Is this real me what autism is? 

If so should I carry on with the masking, and try to subdue the real me?

Does anyone else think this

Parents
  • What is masking?  I’m not sure that I do it or have done it.

• As I understand it, it's putting on a mask to try to blend in with neurotypical people.

As an aspie you might naturally act in a certain way, but you learn through bitter experience in life that NT people react badly to the natural you. They either think your a bit crackers, weird or difficult/awkward to make a few.

So to make life easier for you and them, you put on the mask and try to behave more NT.

The problem with this is it's extremely draining for us.

I find it more and more so as I get older

• As I understand it, it's putting on a mask to try to blend in with neurotypical people.

As an aspie you might naturally act in a certain way, but you learn through bitter experience in life that NT people react badly to the natural you. They either think your a bit crackers, weird or difficult/awkward to make a few.

So to make life easier for you and them, you put on the mask and try to behave more NT.

The problem with this is it's extremely draining for us.

I find it more and more so as I get older

Children