Highly Sensitive Person and Autism

About 10 years ago, I discovered the trait called Highly Sensitive Person:

Description here: https://hsperson.com/

I took the test back then, and discovered I was Highly Sensitive. Some of the features are: 

• easily overwhelmed by such things as bright lights, strong smells, coarse fabrics, or sirens
  • gets rattled when you have a lot to do in a short amount of time
  • needs to withdraw during busy days, into bed or a darkened room or some other place where you can have privacy and relief from the situation
  • has a rich and complex inner life
  • your parents or teachers saw you as sensitive or shy

I bought the Highly Sensitive Person handbook and it was like getting 'the handbook for how I function'. I should read it again tbh.

So recently I was diagnosed as autistic, as you know, and it just occurred to me that these features would fit an autistic person as well. I wondered if I could be HSP *and* autistic. Or maybe I'm one or the other, not both- maybe one has been mistaken for the other? What do you think?

Parents
  • I too have these features. Im  high functioning and much to my cost, great at masking. I read somewhere that these traits are superpowers.?!  Can I hand them back? (Totally exhausting) Nice to hear im not alone with this. Thanks for sharing. 

• Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water - it’s not about loosing those skills, but rather using them only when it is of benefit to you and instead focus on living without the mask as that takes time and practice but once achieved, life is beyond wonderful 

• Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water - it’s not about loosing those skills, but rather using them only when it is of benefit to you and instead focus on living without the mask as that takes time and practice but once achieved, life is beyond wonderful 

Children
No Data