Highly Sensitive Person and Autism

About 10 years ago, I discovered the trait called Highly Sensitive Person:

Description here: https://hsperson.com/

I took the test back then, and discovered I was Highly Sensitive. Some of the features are: 

• easily overwhelmed by such things as bright lights, strong smells, coarse fabrics, or sirens
  • gets rattled when you have a lot to do in a short amount of time
  • needs to withdraw during busy days, into bed or a darkened room or some other place where you can have privacy and relief from the situation
  • has a rich and complex inner life
  • your parents or teachers saw you as sensitive or shy

I bought the Highly Sensitive Person handbook and it was like getting 'the handbook for how I function'. I should read it again tbh.

So recently I was diagnosed as autistic, as you know, and it just occurred to me that these features would fit an autistic person as well. I wondered if I could be HSP *and* autistic. Or maybe I'm one or the other, not both- maybe one has been mistaken for the other? What do you think?

Parents Reply
  • I know what you mean, I feel like that. Online it's easy for people to misunderstand comments. In the past I used to break my neck to listen, suggest and help others, but generally they ended up blaming me for not solving their problems. So I just do the best I can now.

Children