Highly Sensitive Person and Autism

About 10 years ago, I discovered the trait called Highly Sensitive Person:

Description here: https://hsperson.com/

I took the test back then, and discovered I was Highly Sensitive. Some of the features are: 

• easily overwhelmed by such things as bright lights, strong smells, coarse fabrics, or sirens
  • gets rattled when you have a lot to do in a short amount of time
  • needs to withdraw during busy days, into bed or a darkened room or some other place where you can have privacy and relief from the situation
  • has a rich and complex inner life
  • your parents or teachers saw you as sensitive or shy

I bought the Highly Sensitive Person handbook and it was like getting 'the handbook for how I function'. I should read it again tbh.

So recently I was diagnosed as autistic, as you know, and it just occurred to me that these features would fit an autistic person as well. I wondered if I could be HSP *and* autistic. Or maybe I'm one or the other, not both- maybe one has been mistaken for the other? What do you think?

Parents
  • From what I've read HSP is one part of Being Autistic. OR on the Autism Spectrum. Neuro-imaging suggests the Autistic brain network is hyper-active, which might contribute to it. Lacan suggested the psychoanalytical view that due to language problems, Autistics would have a problem receiving the right social "coding" to dull their senses in order to operate in society. 

We might be at a particular mark in history where sounds, scent, lights, foods, etc., are all crafted in ways which our senses don't naturally interact with. 

• Oh that's interesting, because from what I've read, HSP is carefully distinguished from autism e.g. Elaine Aron's work, Jenn Granneman and Andre Sólo, Caroline van Kimmenade etc. People say 'oh you're just autistic, don't give it a fancy name' but all these HSP experts deny it.

My brain is definitely hyperactive, haha!

I totally agree with you about being at the particular mark in history! I'm positive that autistic people lived more happily til fairly recently because life was much slower, less complicated, less pollution of every kind, more nutritious food, clearer social rules and hierarchy etc. Maybe this is why more autistic people are being diagnosed- modern life is forcing us into the open!

Top marks for deduction!

• Maybe this is why more autistic people are being diagnosed- modern life is forcing us into the open!

this is exactly what I believe or what I believe all the evidence I’ve found is pointing toward. and some research that barely touched on the matter but absolutely pointed toward it from the late 60s-80s  

I’ll have a look at the names you’ve mentioned. The fun thing about research is it can always be overturned with one new variable! 

• I agree 100% about modern life.

Just imagine- for most of human history we've lived in small communities where everyone knew each other; life was pretty slow, basic, quiet (i.e. no engines, noise pollution etc); there were very strict social rules (easy to follow); everyone knew their place in society and what was expected of them; food was homegrown and nutritious.

In the 21st century, that's all been turned on its head. Communities are almost non existent; people live in big cities, not knowing many people; neighbours generally don't know each other; life moves very fast, it's busy, noisy, a vast number of options to confuse us; there are almost no social rules and hierarchies; food is highly processed, less nutritious with many unhealthy additives.

No one knows what's expected of them anymore, what to do, where to go...

No wonder autistic people are completely confused, lonely, isolated, overwhelmed!!

Most people on the NAS site (including me) say that the pandemic and lockdown have either made no difference to their quiet life, or improved it. Probably because it has slowed life down, made it simpler, made people pull together more in communities.

e.g. queueing. I find it much easier now because queues are orderly, people keep their distance and don't push and shove.

Life is just too complicated for most people now with too many choices, and autistic people are suffering the most because it's overwhelming.

However...I fear that Covid is just the start of the viruses and more will come from now on, probably more aggressive ones. So life may have to slow down and be more regimented, as it was in the past. For better or worse.

• I agree 100% about modern life.

Just imagine- for most of human history we've lived in small communities where everyone knew each other; life was pretty slow, basic, quiet (i.e. no engines, noise pollution etc); there were very strict social rules (easy to follow); everyone knew their place in society and what was expected of them; food was homegrown and nutritious.

In the 21st century, that's all been turned on its head. Communities are almost non existent; people live in big cities, not knowing many people; neighbours generally don't know each other; life moves very fast, it's busy, noisy, a vast number of options to confuse us; there are almost no social rules and hierarchies; food is highly processed, less nutritious with many unhealthy additives.

No one knows what's expected of them anymore, what to do, where to go...

No wonder autistic people are completely confused, lonely, isolated, overwhelmed!!

Most people on the NAS site (including me) say that the pandemic and lockdown have either made no difference to their quiet life, or improved it. Probably because it has slowed life down, made it simpler, made people pull together more in communities.

e.g. queueing. I find it much easier now because queues are orderly, people keep their distance and don't push and shove.

Life is just too complicated for most people now with too many choices, and autistic people are suffering the most because it's overwhelming.

However...I fear that Covid is just the start of the viruses and more will come from now on, probably more aggressive ones. So life may have to slow down and be more regimented, as it was in the past. For better or worse.

Children
No Data