There is no future in loving an old man

I love a woman who is 26 years old; I am 61 years old.

I would give all I have to quench this fire that burns within my ***--- to douse the flame, even if I must sink into a sea of loneliness; to rip out whatever part of me that first kindled this hopeless and foolish conflagration; to end the gasps of pain with each grieving breath I take; to smother this unwelcome blaze that no torrent can reach.

My love of her grasped me like a mugger who took everything I had, leaving me naked and unsheltered in this wasteland of despair. This scorching love has left dust in my mouth, as my love for her must remain unspoken. This desire happened to me undesired, like a bolt of lightning setting my house on fire. The searing agony of being too old sends waves of pain down my arms and to my finger tips. I am the victim of Cupid, as most old fools are.

I long for the furnace of her kisses--- willing to be branded, claimed and marked. I ache to float upon the wind of her perfect voice, and never again feel the ground under my feet.

Oh, to be young! I would be in Stockholm now, begging her to share with me the light in her eyes, and to see requited love burn within her. For such a priceless gift I would risk everything and anything, even if she were to tell me "No."

• but yet your heart will choose whoever it wants to, against your will. 

I have found your observation to be true. :-( Just about the only emotion I feel is love.

• I find it pretty ugly to think that any man or woman would want to be intimate with someone with the same physical, intellectual and emotional maturity as their children. 

Indeed, and I agree. It also robs the younger person of time to find a suitable partner.

• Have you ever come across the acceptable age calculation?

Yes: people should marry / live with people of their own age. Anything else is evil.

• es - that comes from the Islamic faith.

It's very sensible - the logic is that it takes a few extra years for a man have his life on track, earning good money, house, lifestyle etc. but the wife will be in her prime to add to the partnership - so will be significantly younger.

30-year old man = 22 year old wife

50 year old man, 32 year old wife.

That age difference sounds evil to me (religion, such as Islam, makes people evil). Women are not property; women are not commodities that are bought and sold via algorithms;  women  must marry / live with people their own age, as doing so evens power and makes the relationship more equal.

Having a fifty-year-old man marry a thirty-two-year-old woman is evil, as it shackles a young woman to an old man. It is *NOT* "very sensible:" it is a crime against the woman.

• There is a natural order to ageing, an inherent logic to maturation, and tinkering or dismissing it on a politically correct premise of, 'love is possible at all ages' is a mistake in my opinion.

Yep - And there's an upcoming huge problem with people being told they can have it all and delaying relationships etc. - there's going to be entire generations of lonely, single people who left it all too late and ran out of time.

• Yeah, I don't disagree. 10-15 years either way is probably okay. But anything more, a risky business. And 20 years, 30 years. For me that's pervert territory. I'm 49 and I might find someone under 40, attractive, or I might experience tenderness for them, but it's only for a fleeting moment. In my dealings with them I quickly fall into the role of the older brother or father-figure. The same is true for anyone over 60. I fall into the role of younger brother or son.  For me, there is a natural order to ageing, an inherent logic to maturation, and tinkering or dismissing it on a politically correct premise of, 'love is possible at all ages' is a mistake in my opinion.

• But they don't have any children - they are just a couple, both in their prime - he's stable and a proven good provider and she's in her reproductive prime - as Tina Turner said, "What's Love Got To Do With It"?

Throughout history, marriage has been about honour and duty and procreation - the whole Disney fairy tale is a recent invention sold by Hallmark and HBO. 

I find it pretty ugly to think that any man or woman would want to be intimate with someone with the same physical, intellectual and emotional maturity as their children. 

But that's not the case - if a bloke is proven to be a good provider, he won't get past 35 before a suitable 'high status' female is found to make a good pairing.

There's a guy on Youtube that's quite fascinating - Kevin Samuels - he's mainly dealing with the problems of dating in the US black community - but everything he says is spot-on.

It's hilarious listening to aggressive 35-year old multiple 'baby-mamas' arguing that they are 'high value'.

• That sound like bliss! 

• Oh, that's fascinating. 

• But that takes away financial independence-  it will end badly-  just watch Judge Judy for the normal pattern of relationship breakdown..

• aye thats why you become a "landlord" i guess and perhaps have her renting out one of your houses, can be done that way i guess aha

• That's a risky game to play - having the girlfriend stay over a couple of nights per week   Smiley

• sounds the perfect relationship for someone who is cheating on his current wife lol

• There is a growing trend to having a life-partner that you don't live with - when neither of you can put up with each other full time, you both live in your own places but spend time together commuting between - 2 nights at one place, 2 nights at the other, 3 days on your own recovering  Smiley

That way, neither feels like they're 'settling' or getting financially tied to each other.

• although as i get older ill be less accepting.... id consider that people didnt accept me when i was young and needed people, so why should i accept other people when they come crawling to me in the older years when they are old and lost everything and feel the loneliness themselves and they are needing people.... id consider a shut off eventually where i reject everyone completely and consider them to have missed their chances. and consider it to be karma perhaps. a womans beauty fades really fast with age, a man is always pretty much the same especially if he continues to lift weights and maintain muscle lol why should we accept a faded beauty that wouldnt have accepted us when they had beauty when they are old and faded and realise that we the man have retained our looks while they lost it. they can stay lonely and feel what we felt....

• i tend to do a range thing, probs a 5 year give or take, so for me at 31 i do a 25 to 35 age range which feels reasonable.

• I'm 42, and most 28 year-olds are taken. Disappointed

• Have you ever come across the acceptable age calculation? Allegedly, by dividing one's own age in half, and then adding 7 to that number, one wind's up with the acceptable minimum age for the subject of one's romantic attention.  

Yes - that comes from the Islamic faith.

It's very sensible - the logic is that it takes a few extra years for a man have his life on track, earning good money, house, lifestyle etc. but the wife will be in her prime to add to the partnership - so will be significantly younger.

30-year old man = 22 year old wife

50 year old man, 32 year old wife.

• Hello, David. There is no future. Period. Only the one we create in our mind. And it's rarely a happy one. Have you ever come across the acceptable age calculation? Allegedly, by dividing one's own age in half, and then adding 7 to that number, one wind's up with the acceptable minimum age for the subject of one's romantic attention.  

• Fer a second there I assumed she'd given you a case of the clap.