Does "Autist" offend you?

I often refer to myself as an "Autist" and would not be at all concerned if anyone else called me it either (assuming it was done without malice).

For some reason the word really appeals to me - it just fits!

A therapist suggested that saying "an autistic person" would be more inclusive.

Are there offensive connotations to the word "Autist"?

Parents
  • I'm not keen on 'autist' - it sounds like I'm playing at it.

I tend to call myself aspie - but it depends on the audience and my perceived feelings on their understanding of the technical terms.

Most of these situations are going to be medical so I find it easier to quickly mention the Aspergers but then explain what odd behaviours they are likely to trigger - and what to ignore and what to take notice of.

It allows me to do what I need to do to get through things and it gives them a clear set of parameters to work within.

My problem is my apparent 'jolly nice chap' persona switches and alternates with a frightened 8-year old - it can be confusing in they're not expecting it.

If I'm with unskilled people, I'll tell them I'm autistic - it gives them more stability - even if some of them then talk slowly and clearly at me like I'm 95 and deaf  Smiley

• Autist/ flautist, tra la la!

Flautists play the flute, autists play the aute. JoyJoy

• The thing is - no-one actually cares about whether you're aspie or autie or autist - they are *only* interested in how *weird* you are and what is the minimum amount of effort they need to put in to deal with you.

• Or a "Thor" brand plastic hammer to give the notes a bit more attack for the martial music, etc.

Reply Children
No Data