What do you folks do to circumvent/cope with smell sensory overload?

Looking for any new coping strategies!

Parents
  • From what I'm reading, it sounds like an inquiry to neutralising chemicals which affect our biology.

Smoke (from bonfires): "Smoke is made up of a complex mixture of gases and fine particles produced when wood and other organic materials burn. The biggest health threat from smoke is from fine particles. These microscopic particles can penetrate deep into your lungs. They can cause a range of health problems, from burning eyes and a runny nose to aggravated chronic heart and lung diseases. Exposure to particle pollution is even linked to premature death."

These same particles would be involved in roadworks - dust and exhaust. Our sense of 'smell' is used to detect both agreeable and disagreeable things when we're not in tune with what it's doing to our lungs or gut.

Chemicals which are designed for scented candles, perfume, cleaning agents, incense plug ins, etc. are also incredibly harmful to your health. I amazed cigarette smoking is banned but the use of air sprays, plug-ins, incense and scented candles in public is not. It's completely unreasonable. The reason you happen to find organic or natural oils work is because they're natural rather than toxic chemicals/pollutants, but extracts of flowers which the human body is not poisoned by.

While Activated charcoal can absorb smells, odours and chemicals, you may need a good deal around the house to attract the particulates if there's a chaotic amount incoming. Open units of bicarbonate of soda, the same. If it were me, I'd have several filter masks (such as these https://cambridgemask.com) around the house. Don't plug up your nose, though. It's still safer to breathe through it rather than your mouth as it's designed to warn you when you're being harmed or poisoned from bacteria or gases or whatever else, and it can filter some of these things.

However, if you want a quick fix while out (relief from smells) a container of coffee beans to inhale occasionally can do the trick, as these are also used as a palette cleanser in perfumeries.

Personally, I feel more laws need to be created to protect individuals from the companies making these chemicals and more awareness in general is necessary.

• I completely agree, it's ridiculous how unregulated the air fresheners and perfumes industry is. These things stink with extremely strong, overpowering chemical smells and I don't understand how other people are unaware of this, or even voluntarily choose to spray themselves with them.

We know that a lot of these chemicals are harmful, but the industry is less regulated than food. Breathing harmful things in is tolerated whereas people would be less likely to ingest a known toxin, but these chemicals do get absorbed by our lungs.

Fumes from cars are obviously bad, and we know that, but society has decided it's worth the trade off. But I'm even surprised at things like the artificial fabrics used in soft furnishings. My mum bought me some blackout curtains to put up from Dunelm Mill and I've had to take them down and throw them away because they gave off a really strong and unpleasant chemical smell that was a bit like the smell of vomit, especially whenever the sun was on them. And it would give me headaches.

Apparently it's common for these artificial fabrics to "off gas" volatile organic compounds from the manufacturing process, and we know they are harmful, but it's just tolerated because as a society we want things to be cheap and fire-proof and have certain properties.

I try to stick to natural fabrics like cotton. I even find the artificial fabrics feel unpleasant against my skin. When people have bought me sports clothing that's meant to "wick away" moisture or have antibacterial coating to prevent smells, I find it's itchy or has an overpowering sensation on the skin that is distracting.

• I completely agree, it's ridiculous how unregulated the air fresheners and perfumes industry is. These things stink with extremely strong, overpowering chemical smells and I don't understand how other people are unaware of this, or even voluntarily choose to spray themselves with them.

We know that a lot of these chemicals are harmful, but the industry is less regulated than food. Breathing harmful things in is tolerated whereas people would be less likely to ingest a known toxin, but these chemicals do get absorbed by our lungs.

Fumes from cars are obviously bad, and we know that, but society has decided it's worth the trade off. But I'm even surprised at things like the artificial fabrics used in soft furnishings. My mum bought me some blackout curtains to put up from Dunelm Mill and I've had to take them down and throw them away because they gave off a really strong and unpleasant chemical smell that was a bit like the smell of vomit, especially whenever the sun was on them. And it would give me headaches.

Apparently it's common for these artificial fabrics to "off gas" volatile organic compounds from the manufacturing process, and we know they are harmful, but it's just tolerated because as a society we want things to be cheap and fire-proof and have certain properties.

I try to stick to natural fabrics like cotton. I even find the artificial fabrics feel unpleasant against my skin. When people have bought me sports clothing that's meant to "wick away" moisture or have antibacterial coating to prevent smells, I find it's itchy or has an overpowering sensation on the skin that is distracting.

Children
  • OH - I am exactly the same with clothing & linens. I'll buy 100% wool and just mist them with water mixed with natural oils: cedar, lavender, bergamot. But finding 100% cotton is becoming increasingly difficult. It's almost impossible to find under-clothes which don't at least have a percent of petroleum-by-product derived fabrics and in a fire these will turn to a plastic and melt against your skin, which tells you a lot about the composition. I am open to all natural fibres, but even finding a cotton raincoat which is coated with natural beeswax rather than petroleum-based waxes is difficult and the Vegan community is not making it easy - It's not hard to reward better ethics, but that's a whole other topic. 

Off-gassing of mattresses, sofas, carpet is WELL KNOWN and merely tolerated. I cannot even work out why. From the research I've found, we know that we know these particulates cause cancer. Same with chemical scents. It's amazing. In the states, Proctor and Gamble are untouchable. Laws will be made to protect corporations more than citizens. :(