bullying of autistic people (trigger warning for those who have experienced bullying, please do not read)

i've only been a member of this forum for four days and i've NEVER witnessed as much bullying of autistic people in my whole time on the internet. it's disgraceful. i don't know what ratio of people on here ARE ACTUALLY autistic, but i think for those of you engaged in character assassination and ridicule of autistic behaviour it's worth reminding yourself about the wonderful world of autism. 

firstly, a big shout out to some very special people on here, rare among the fragile egos and bullies that seem to dominate the rest of the forum.

secondly,

People with autism have challenges with communication and social skills. They often find it hard to have conversations and may not pick up on social cues. Communication includes understanding, talking, READING, and WRITING. 

so, before you jump down someone's throat for saying the wrong thing or using the wrong word. STOP! THINK! and REMEMBER that you may be communicating with an autistic person who does not have a strong sense of the nuances of the english language as you do.

(although) WHY THIS SHOULD EVEN HAVE TO BE POINTED OUT TO YOU ON A SITE LIKE THIS IS BEYOND BELIEF!!!  BUT YOU WHO HAVE DONE IT OR ARE DOING IT KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES !

if you are a so called high functioning autist with excellent linguistic skills, or you're not autistic with excellent communication and written skills, then before you start to bombard someone with criticism, or shame them for something they have written STOP! THINK and REMEMBER that you may be communicating with an autistic person who does not have a strong sense of the nuances of the english language as you do.

A person with autism may have challenges understanding and using words learning to read or write—some autistic people do not understand what they read 

(although) WHY THIS SHOULD EVEN HAVE TO BE POINTED OUT TO YOU ON A SITE LIKE THIS IS BEYOND BELIEF!!!  BUT YOU WHO HAVE DONE IT OR ARE DOING IT KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES !

use this site below to educate yourself on autism and autistic people and STOP! before you shame someone for their autistic behaviour.  and anyone who has done this in the past three days SHOULD BE F@IN@G ASHAMED OF YOURSELF.  personally, i wouldn't allow you within a mile of an autistic person! EDUCATE YOURSELF ON AUTISM ! take a chill pill, show some fucking human compassion and stop bullying autistic people ! if something someone says triggers your fragile little ego, MOVE ON and let people BE WHO THEY ARE

https://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/autism/#:~:text=About%20Autism-,People%20with%20autism%20have%20challenges%20with%20communication%20and%20social%20skills,making%20friends%20and%20communicating%20socially.

Parents
  • ???

I'm not sure what you are saying.

I find this site a safe refuge from the outside world, where the real bullying takes place.

Because I'm different and have social communication problems, I've been bullied all my life, shunned by my family, kicked out of schools, thrown out of jobs etc.

This site is a mild rose garden.

• that's terrible to read, Mr Robert. i don't think i've had the pleasure of interacting with you up until now. you are quite correct that it's nowhere as bad as the outside world on here, that's true. but there is still some very nasty people (i don't know if they are even autistic of if they are level 1 autistic) on here who are very quick to jump on you for using the wrong language or being too direct, which is one of the main traits in my autism. i think it's some kind of autistic prejudice against level 2 or 3 autistic people. if you phrase something incorrectly or reply with a direct response they will kick you and keep kicking you until they have shamed you. i agree, though, it's not as bad as the outside world, but these people on here you would think they would have a little more understanding and patience with different autistic abilities.

(edited) every rose (garden) has its thorns. half expected them to be clicking on like on your comment. such bullying cowards.

• I feel like I've missed something. What is level 1, 2 and 3 autism? I've not been diagnosed with a level.

• This is why during initial autism diagnosis, in the absence of post diagnosis assessments to determine level of autism (which also needs to become a basic legal requirement) and any support needs, this should become a basic legal requirement to include these levels in the initial diagnosis report 

• it is used to indicate your support needs,,  some do it some dont,, it isnt very useful because u can in theory be level 1.5  ( in between level 1 an 2 )

Reply Children
  • This is why during initial autism diagnosis, in the absence of post diagnosis assessments to determine level of autism (which also needs to become a basic legal requirement) and any support needs, this should become a basic legal requirement to include these levels in the initial diagnosis report