Hyperempathy

One thing I find ironic is how neurotypicals always say that we have no empathy, when in fact the opposite is true... I have hyper empathy, which is common in autistic people, apparently.

I can pick up people's mood straight away, and I have a particular soft spot for animals. The other day I started watching the documentary "Blackfish" on Netflix about killer whales in captivity, and it caused me immense distress because of how the animals are treated. It took me a while to calm down after that and I still feel a bit sad about it at the moment.

Does anyone else get distressed when watching something sad on TV?

Parents
  • Totally agree with you on this! I am definitely like this too! It's only when I tell people things that upset me that I get met with a blank stare and realise it's not how the masses think! I once was late for work cos I had to save a struggling butterfly from a spider web! I saw it on my front door on my way out and I just couldn't leave it there, spent ages getting the web gently off it's wings after so it could still fly! I also feel like a physical pain inside when I see a roadkill! I always comment on it and who ever I am in the car with rarely does! lol. I also get so upset watching anything about animal cruelty on t.v/internet so I avoid things like that now as it is a horrible feeling that lasts! - Once you've seen something, you can't un-see it!

• I can relate on the roadkill front - whenever I see roadkill, it makes me feel physically sick. Also, the other week I was sitting on the bus and saw a man out of the window who had a huge wound on his neck. I couldn't look away and my neck started hurting too just from looking at it!

• I drive a lot, and see lots of roadkill; especially badgers. The commonplace nature of them means that I ignore it. But I would grieve for the animal in my heart.

Reply Children
No Data