Virtual assessment- ADOS

I've been trying to resist the urge to ask this question - sometimes I think you can know too much and you then feel rehearsed - but has anyone done the ADOS virtually (via teams, zoom etc). I've got my assessment on Monday. I've already had two lengthy telephone calls which went through my childhood development and current life and I've been told to expect this final one to be around 30 minutes with someone asking me things and another observing me. I hate the word "observing". I get "observed" at work here and there for assessments and it is my least favourite thing to happen. Having someone looking at you and having no idea what they are thinking is one of those things that gets me feeling most anxious. 

I'm particularly interested in those who have done this remotely. I know the outcome of tomorrow can be that it is inconclusive and they need to wait until we can get seen face to face. I thought it wasn't really the case that we would look autistic but this process seems to surely suggest otherwise? 

• I'm waiting for the result now. Via text message before 5pm today. I've got a headache. 

• No, maybe that is what I need. 

• Do you have a WiFi booster? I have to use one in my bedroom/ office. You can pick them up for around £20 or under in Argos. Really simple to set up.

• Only my space - I've tidied up my home office and packed away my work things so it is free from distractions. I might light a candle or something. Right now I'm more worried about my Internet connection because it isnt particularly reliable when it comes to video calling. 

• I can appreciate you feeling guilty about the reduced wait time, though you haven't done anything to make it happen, therefore nothing to feel bad about.

It's really unfair to have so much uncertainty, regarding will you or won't you get an answer. I like to know what exactly will happen. Otherwise my head starts trying to predict EVERYTHING. I'm driving myself mad at the moment. 

Have you planned a relaxing space, comfortable clothes, any notes of things you would like to say, or questions you would like to ask?

Tina

• 1pm

I will let you know how it goes. I don't know if they will tell me straight away or not if they think I am autistic. There seem to be different experiences of that during normal times so who knows what to expect in these not-so-normal times. 

I got a bit emotional the other day as I feel like I have been made a priority for assessment because I am female and in employment. Diagnosing someone like me would look good for statistics. That's my cynical head talking anyway. How else do you explain that I was told is potentially have a 2yr wait and now I've been offered it all in 4 months. The social justice warrior part of me feels it is very wrong to see preferential treatment, even if I'm the one being shown that treatment. I'm sad for those that DO wait 2 years with this uncertainty hanging over them. 

• Hey Michelle, I was hoping you would post today so that I could let you know I'm thinking of you. And to wish you luck for tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm unable to answer your question, I have some of my own too. I've been wondering if they decide a person is not ASD, would they give a diagnosis of something else, if they spot it, or is it just for ASD.

I would say that the observations would be to look for behaviours? If that is the case then I'm sure being nervous about it would actually be more beneficial to you, at least that's what I've heard.

I didn't have your will power, I googled and found no answers, probably for the best though.

I've now started researching what to do if you're diagnosed as not ASD. 

What time is your assessment tomorrow?