My son feeling Negative!

Has anyone experienced... how negative a person is with Aspergers? My son is finding it hard atm with college work, it’s hard actually to put into words! He’s so negative. But he knows he is different to others and started crying to me about it, he’s frustrated and I just don’t know where to turn! He is 20 years old in June. I get scared of how is mind is set, as I remember him telling e he wanted to die in his twenties and it plays on my mind. 
I feel like I need to go away and look up what to say to him, as he is so intelligent but his way of thinking is different. As we all have our own experience of depression and anxiety. I feel Aspergers is in another level totally! 
thanx for ready hope you can advice ;) 

Parents
  • Hello. I entirely understand how you feel. My son is 12 and is experiencing these thoughts since primary school. I have read the comments and take away the need to listen and not try to fix. It is tempting as a parent to seek to find ways to remove the pain. That said his anxiety trigger seems to be school so he is not getting an education really so until that is fixed he will not achieve to his potential  and that, I feel ought to be fixed because he is bright and intelligent and not achieving feeds into his negative self image as lazy.  He is not accepting of his AUtism diagnosis and wants shake it off or says he only has it ‘a little bit’ , the power of negative stereotypes seem to resonate more with him.  Anyway I will be trying to sit and listen without my heart breaking each day and night. It is making me pretty sad and stressed though and I battle not to let this show. Good luck to you, and to your son.  you are not alone. 

• if he doesn't like the stereo type surely he's free not to disclose the label? After all shouldn't teachers for example respect his wishers on whether other children should know?

• I would hope school do respect this. Presently though he is not in school , it is at home he does not like the knowledge  and is angry with me for taking him to be assessed 

Reply Children