Performance anxiety

On reflection, I think this problem has defined much of my life since childhood. To the point where even now in my late 30s I struggle with interviews, shops or even speaking up infront of family members who often make fun of anything that might give rise to some poor excuse for humour.

Feeling this to such an extreme level, is this normal, does this happen to you? How do you cope with situations where the attention is directed and you, your work, or your life?

Parents
  • I say Bravo go you both! Yes, an allergy to the corporate world is probably an accurate description of how I feel. Difference for me as a designer is that I am often brought into companies that want to evolve their culture, but there is a big gap between wanting to and being willing to. So I'm often met with a lot of old skool management which doesn't act progressively enough to allow themselves to evolve with the new ideas. I find it exhausting and I'm now sick again.

I was self employed for 5 years as a freelancer, but I found the inconsistency of looking for and finding enough work was stressful in a different way. I ended up not knowing anyone particularly well because I was only there for such a short time for each project, so lost my sense of connection to anything at that time.

How did you manage to be self employed and stable with income? Having a salary during the pandemic has been vital it turns out, but still have all the problems that go with it, feels like a double edged sword and I'm over it tbh

• Thank you for the bravo! Yeah, the inconstancy sucks, I'd  put some aside for those times, but you can't make people come for svcs---that is a good point, in that it holds it's own anxiety. I HIGHLY recommend, "Retirement Early Extreme" by Jacob Lund Fisker. It's like the frugal/f.i.r.e. bible lol I'm not pushy with spirituality....but my spirituality def plays into this alot. To end on a positive note, as I view everything as a lesson. My business will be geared/focused towards working with ASD/ADHD/OCD individuals/teams related to change management. Learning organizations are the future...

• Thank you for the bravo! Yeah, the inconstancy sucks, I'd  put some aside for those times, but you can't make people come for svcs---that is a good point, in that it holds it's own anxiety. I HIGHLY recommend, "Retirement Early Extreme" by Jacob Lund Fisker. It's like the frugal/f.i.r.e. bible lol I'm not pushy with spirituality....but my spirituality def plays into this alot. To end on a positive note, as I view everything as a lesson. My business will be geared/focused towards working with ASD/ADHD/OCD individuals/teams related to change management. Learning organizations are the future...

Children
No Data