How often are people here NOT autistic?

Has anyone who has been here a long time got an answer to this question? We all obviously come here for a reason, but how often does it turn out that it ISN'T autism-related? 

I'm planning on disclosing to my employer on Thursday that I am awaiting an assessment and explaining some of the difficulties that I have. I know some people disagree with this approach but I have a challenging and unpredictable job and I've just changed employer, and I feel like I need support from the earliest opportunity even if I'm wrong and my needs are anxiety-related rather than autism. 

I am prepared for the fact that I may have quite a wait until I am assessed so it is going to be in the back if my mind that they may consciously or subconsciously treat me differently and then I don't get the outcome I expect. I don't want to feel like a fraud.

Interested in any thoughts people have about this.

Parents
  • If it is at all any help, I spoke to a union rep at the time when I was going through the diagnosis process for autism. He explained to me that because it can take years to get to that point as an adult, they really should be making reasonable adjustments as soon as they can, not awaiting a diagnosis. 

• If it is at all any help, I spoke to a union rep at the time when I was going through the diagnosis process for autism. He explained to me that because it can take years to get to that point as an adult, they really should be making reasonable adjustments as soon as they can, not awaiting a diagnosis. 

Children