Autistic social worker- not an autism social worker

I'm a social worker and I cannot find an autistic social worker to speak to. I presume they exist. Every time I search online I find social workers FOR autistic people. 

Where are you, social workers?!

Parents
  • Don't know, but if I ever need one, I'd like one. Don't give up. Someone like me might need you some day.

• I'm not in a social work role right now but I am still in an supporting role for the NHS. I don't think I'll stop working with people, although I'm finding that it comes at a huge cost to me own health and wellbeing so I sometimes think that I should! 

It is a tricky balancing act to not burn myself out but I try my best. I'd like to think I was a good social worker for autistic people even before I was diagnosed myself though. A good social worker doesn't need to know everything about every condition possible, but needs to listen and understand each person's experience and perspective of their own life. If you pay attention to that then you really can't go too wrong, and if you do get it wrong then you change and grow.

That's my view anyway! 

• I'm not in a social work role right now but I am still in an supporting role for the NHS. I don't think I'll stop working with people, although I'm finding that it comes at a huge cost to me own health and wellbeing so I sometimes think that I should! 

It is a tricky balancing act to not burn myself out but I try my best. I'd like to think I was a good social worker for autistic people even before I was diagnosed myself though. A good social worker doesn't need to know everything about every condition possible, but needs to listen and understand each person's experience and perspective of their own life. If you pay attention to that then you really can't go too wrong, and if you do get it wrong then you change and grow.

That's my view anyway! 

Children
No Data