'Coming out' after being diagnosed

Hi all. I'm Robin and yesterday I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I'm not sure what to do now!

My mam was with me for my assessment, and I've told my brother and my closest pal. But how do I go about telling people at work? It's not like I need them to make any adjustments at the moment, so it's almost irrelevant but it also feels like something important to share.

Does anyone have any advice?

Parents
  • Whatever you decide to do I think it's worth waiting for now.

This is big and emotional news for you. I found it took 2 months of digesting. I thought about little else. I cried a lot, revisted the past, my childhood, lots of scenarios, my relationship to parents, etc. That was enough to deal with without work.

I've now revealed it to a lot of people. And I learnt how to do it well and anticipate reactions etc before telling some work people.

Thete are people I regret telling. Once it's out it's out and you can't untell people. Give yourself time.

• Whatever you decide to do I think it's worth waiting for now.

This is big and emotional news for you. I found it took 2 months of digesting. I thought about little else. I cried a lot, revisted the past, my childhood, lots of scenarios, my relationship to parents, etc. That was enough to deal with without work.

I've now revealed it to a lot of people. And I learnt how to do it well and anticipate reactions etc before telling some work people.

Thete are people I regret telling. Once it's out it's out and you can't untell people. Give yourself time.

Children
No Data