'Coming out' after being diagnosed

Hi all. I'm Robin and yesterday I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I'm not sure what to do now!

My mam was with me for my assessment, and I've told my brother and my closest pal. But how do I go about telling people at work? It's not like I need them to make any adjustments at the moment, so it's almost irrelevant but it also feels like something important to share.

Does anyone have any advice?

Parents
  • Don't be talked out of disclosing your diagnosis because of fear mongering. There are many benefits to disclosing but I won't repeat them because Trainspotter has said it all. Telling the "office" gossip is a brilliant idea. You could tell someone you are comfortable with and let them know you don't mind other people knowing - it will soon make the rounds. In a more professional capacity, you should inform HR and your direct line manager. 

• It's not fear mongering when there's actual data that supports the fact that employers do things like actively bin CVs that mention autism and the rates of autistic people in employment are in the toilet. The fact that every autistic person I know (and I was diagnosed in childhood, not 5 minutes ago so I've been dragged to loads of stuff) is underemployed based on skills and qualifications. 

Discrimination is real. 

• A different scenario as we are talking about somebody already in employment. 

• Your choosing to interpreting it as nasty, they are being kind by informing them of the most likely outcome from their own experiences.  

Plastic & cookiemum1986 has given more useful advice on this community page and more encouragement than most professional who job it is to educate and inform people about autism.

• thanks for replying there are some people replying to your new discussion so u see you have made a good impression in a very short time.

Also you have just been diagnosed so you will be sensitive and maybe unstable for a few months as you settle into your new state. Ok I'm going on what I was like Slight smile

Are u staying ?,,,, i think u should Slight smile I'll buy u a virtual coffee Slight smile

• I hope to see more kind people like you adie on this forum. Thank you. 

• you're fine LL

telling you're employer is probably the most dangerous step for an autistic person  i have read many horror stories in here and also really good reactions by employers.

It's like throwing a dice.

u're doing great LL you have done nothing wrong. 

feel free to grab me anytime if u are being overwhelmed

hope to talk to your again

• Directly you declare a disability, the first thing the management / HR will ask is what accommodations they need to make to assist you in your employment - you REALLY need to understand the way it affects you to be able to answer this question - they want a good, concise answer that they can work with to tick the box.

If you dither and don't really know or haven't considered it, you will lose the opportunity - it's almost always a one-shot only - if you miss it, it will be hard to renegotiate the terms later.    Then they might see you as taking the pi** and trying to take advantage.

I was diagnosed in 2008 - it took me a couple of years before I actually understood how my Asperger's affected me and just how vulnerable I was to manipulation.    I'm like Commander Data from Star Trek - super capable, but lacking in the finer points of human interaction so I am very naive and unskilled in the political game in business.    I was unfortunate that my direct manager was a skilled bully.

• I agree with this. Maybe I misunderstood what people were saying - I do have Autism after all. 

Reply Children
  • thanks for replying there are some people replying to your new discussion so u see you have made a good impression in a very short time.

Also you have just been diagnosed so you will be sensitive and maybe unstable for a few months as you settle into your new state. Ok I'm going on what I was like Slight smile

Are u staying ?,,,, i think u should Slight smile I'll buy u a virtual coffee Slight smile

• I hope to see more kind people like you adie on this forum. Thank you. 

• you're fine LL

telling you're employer is probably the most dangerous step for an autistic person  i have read many horror stories in here and also really good reactions by employers.

It's like throwing a dice.

u're doing great LL you have done nothing wrong. 

feel free to grab me anytime if u are being overwhelmed

hope to talk to your again

• Directly you declare a disability, the first thing the management / HR will ask is what accommodations they need to make to assist you in your employment - you REALLY need to understand the way it affects you to be able to answer this question - they want a good, concise answer that they can work with to tick the box.

If you dither and don't really know or haven't considered it, you will lose the opportunity - it's almost always a one-shot only - if you miss it, it will be hard to renegotiate the terms later.    Then they might see you as taking the pi** and trying to take advantage.

I was diagnosed in 2008 - it took me a couple of years before I actually understood how my Asperger's affected me and just how vulnerable I was to manipulation.    I'm like Commander Data from Star Trek - super capable, but lacking in the finer points of human interaction so I am very naive and unskilled in the political game in business.    I was unfortunate that my direct manager was a skilled bully.