'Coming out' after being diagnosed

Hi all. I'm Robin and yesterday I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I'm not sure what to do now!

My mam was with me for my assessment, and I've told my brother and my closest pal. But how do I go about telling people at work? It's not like I need them to make any adjustments at the moment, so it's almost irrelevant but it also feels like something important to share.

Does anyone have any advice?

Parents
  • I felt that I had to 'come out' to stop people wondering.

Unkind remarks are probably more likely if people don't know the reason for how you are.  I know this is different to the advice of others.  But a remark by you, or apparently inappropriate action, or an apparent 'stare' or not wanting to take part in social activities, seeming inattention or your eating habits, which may all be what others think of as abnormal, can all result in unwanted jibes.  You considered yourself sufficiently affected to seek a diagnosis, so it is a near certainty others have noticed you have apparently 'strange' behaviour.

Even if you do not consider yourself to need adjustments at the moment, something could happen in the future that a simple adjustment could help considerably.  And with not disclosing, you could be subject to disciplinary procedures over some matter or another that would be covered under the Equality Act.  Jobs change, duties change even under the same employer and you could be moved to something that does not suit your skills and aptitude and be put on a performance plan which you cannot comply with.

In my case, my job changed due to Type, I suffered serious anxiety and depression during which time I sought by diagnosis.  I cannot say all my problems were over when my employer was informed, far from it.  But it paved the way for help through Access to Work and keeping my job, something that with certainty would not have happened without my employer being informed.

Work colleagues were another thing.  Standing up in a meeting and 'confessing' was certainly not what I wanted to do.  I decided to tell the office gossip and then very soon everyone knew!  And I got nothing but help and goodwil from them.  Autism is a lot better understood these days. Anyone who will bully you because you are autistic is likely to bully you because of how you are anyway.  Harassment because of your disability is an offence under the Equality Act and would be dealt with under your employers disciplinary policy for which the consequences for the perpetrators can be severe.

Many people, although they don't think they know many autistic adults, have children, nephews and nieces, cousins, or neighbours children who are autistic.  And it is more understood these days.

• I felt that I had to 'come out' to stop people wondering.

Unkind remarks are probably more likely if people don't know the reason for how you are.  I know this is different to the advice of others.  But a remark by you, or apparently inappropriate action, or an apparent 'stare' or not wanting to take part in social activities, seeming inattention or your eating habits, which may all be what others think of as abnormal, can all result in unwanted jibes.  You considered yourself sufficiently affected to seek a diagnosis, so it is a near certainty others have noticed you have apparently 'strange' behaviour.

Even if you do not consider yourself to need adjustments at the moment, something could happen in the future that a simple adjustment could help considerably.  And with not disclosing, you could be subject to disciplinary procedures over some matter or another that would be covered under the Equality Act.  Jobs change, duties change even under the same employer and you could be moved to something that does not suit your skills and aptitude and be put on a performance plan which you cannot comply with.

In my case, my job changed due to Type, I suffered serious anxiety and depression during which time I sought by diagnosis.  I cannot say all my problems were over when my employer was informed, far from it.  But it paved the way for help through Access to Work and keeping my job, something that with certainty would not have happened without my employer being informed.

Work colleagues were another thing.  Standing up in a meeting and 'confessing' was certainly not what I wanted to do.  I decided to tell the office gossip and then very soon everyone knew!  And I got nothing but help and goodwil from them.  Autism is a lot better understood these days. Anyone who will bully you because you are autistic is likely to bully you because of how you are anyway.  Harassment because of your disability is an offence under the Equality Act and would be dealt with under your employers disciplinary policy for which the consequences for the perpetrators can be severe.

Many people, although they don't think they know many autistic adults, have children, nephews and nieces, cousins, or neighbours children who are autistic.  And it is more understood these days.

Children
No Data