'Coming out' after being diagnosed

Hi all. I'm Robin and yesterday I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I'm not sure what to do now!

My mam was with me for my assessment, and I've told my brother and my closest pal. But how do I go about telling people at work? It's not like I need them to make any adjustments at the moment, so it's almost irrelevant but it also feels like something important to share.

Does anyone have any advice?

Parents
  • Something you might want to think about is your masking - we all do it - where we present a more 'user friendly' face to the NTs around us so we appear to 'fit in'.    You probably don't notice it, but it's burning an enormous amount of brain energy to maintain this facade.    While you're young, you can easily cope with this.

As we get older, life gets much more complex and unpredictable so we start to reach the limits of our masks to hide - that is where our natural 'odd' behaviours start to pop out at inopportune moments - events that happen where we don't have a pre-programmed response for - we suddenly say or do something that we see as logical - but others are hugely offended by.

A classic is if a really unpopular person suddenly dies - everyone says what a lovely person they were - we might say something like "Well no-one liked him anyway!"      The NTs will feign their love of the person and shame you because of your obvious hate of them.    It's that sort of event that can really make you feel very, very different.

The masking is so energy consuming that as we get older, we get more and more fatigued - it can lead to a burn-out in middle age.      Look after yourself - spot the sign early and do something about it - it's all about lowering stress.

Like I mentioned, get to know yourself - your strengths and weaknesses - and figure out how you *really* would like to live your life.   Find out what relaxes you and where you can find sanctuary away from the stress of the world.

I'm a nerd - I was lucky enough to work in nerd industries doing nerd jobs - I did very well - until I ended up working for an incompetent manager who used and abused me for years all while lying to my face and manipulating me behind my back.    Be careful who you trust.

Best wishes for it all!   Smiley

• Something you might want to think about is your masking - we all do it - where we present a more 'user friendly' face to the NTs around us so we appear to 'fit in'.    You probably don't notice it, but it's burning an enormous amount of brain energy to maintain this facade.    While you're young, you can easily cope with this.

As we get older, life gets much more complex and unpredictable so we start to reach the limits of our masks to hide - that is where our natural 'odd' behaviours start to pop out at inopportune moments - events that happen where we don't have a pre-programmed response for - we suddenly say or do something that we see as logical - but others are hugely offended by.

A classic is if a really unpopular person suddenly dies - everyone says what a lovely person they were - we might say something like "Well no-one liked him anyway!"      The NTs will feign their love of the person and shame you because of your obvious hate of them.    It's that sort of event that can really make you feel very, very different.

The masking is so energy consuming that as we get older, we get more and more fatigued - it can lead to a burn-out in middle age.      Look after yourself - spot the sign early and do something about it - it's all about lowering stress.

Like I mentioned, get to know yourself - your strengths and weaknesses - and figure out how you *really* would like to live your life.   Find out what relaxes you and where you can find sanctuary away from the stress of the world.

I'm a nerd - I was lucky enough to work in nerd industries doing nerd jobs - I did very well - until I ended up working for an incompetent manager who used and abused me for years all while lying to my face and manipulating me behind my back.    Be careful who you trust.

Best wishes for it all!   Smiley

Children
No Data