'Coming out' after being diagnosed

Hi all. I'm Robin and yesterday I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I'm not sure what to do now!

My mam was with me for my assessment, and I've told my brother and my closest pal. But how do I go about telling people at work? It's not like I need them to make any adjustments at the moment, so it's almost irrelevant but it also feels like something important to share.

Does anyone have any advice?

Parents
  • I strongly advise you to say nothing yet.       This news is a big revelation to you but others may use it against you.     If you get on with your job and all the people you're with, then someone will probably use it to make you feel inferior.     Others may suddenly re-evaluate you as someone who might be unpredictable or untrustworthy.

Let it sink into yourself first - you'll need to do some thinking about why you wanted a diagnosis and what problems you actually suffer with in the workplace or socially.    Unfortunately, we are often seen as people-pleasers and so get manipulated and used and eventually bullied in the workplace.     People will often view you as their token 'special' so they keep you around (to make themselves feel good) but your career goes absolutely nowhere and your performance appraisals will be full of patronising phrases that ensure you can't be promoted.

Socially, you will find out who your friends are - real friends won't care or probably suspected already - but some might use it as a way to beat you down to elevate their social position.   Those people are not your friends.     Be very careful that people might see you as a soft touch and try to use you.

Good luck with it all!   Smiley

• I strongly advise you to say nothing yet.       This news is a big revelation to you but others may use it against you.     If you get on with your job and all the people you're with, then someone will probably use it to make you feel inferior.     Others may suddenly re-evaluate you as someone who might be unpredictable or untrustworthy.

Let it sink into yourself first - you'll need to do some thinking about why you wanted a diagnosis and what problems you actually suffer with in the workplace or socially.    Unfortunately, we are often seen as people-pleasers and so get manipulated and used and eventually bullied in the workplace.     People will often view you as their token 'special' so they keep you around (to make themselves feel good) but your career goes absolutely nowhere and your performance appraisals will be full of patronising phrases that ensure you can't be promoted.

Socially, you will find out who your friends are - real friends won't care or probably suspected already - but some might use it as a way to beat you down to elevate their social position.   Those people are not your friends.     Be very careful that people might see you as a soft touch and try to use you.

Good luck with it all!   Smiley

Children