How do people with ASD view God ?

How do people with ASD view God and their connection to god if any.

Parents
  • Each to their own but speaking personally my Christian faith is a great comfort to me. I believe I was made the way I am for a reason and that God has a plan for me and accepts me for who I am. As an autistic person who isnt accepted by the world I find that very comforting. 

• I'd add that once you really understand the essential truth of matter, that it is all made from nothing, just  arranged in pretty patterns and bursts of "light", then you might take a second look at Genesis. Add in a soupcon of analysis of the actual messages, functions of the ten commandments, new deal offered by Jesus Christ in the second testament, and it can indeed start to tell a more coherent story. Then layer on a couple of decades of asking questions and having a bit of a think, and I ended up with the question.

How many time must I fire paint randomly out of a srayiing device to end up with a replica of the sistine chapel?  Or how am i really supposed to believe that random events just came together to create such a fragile and interlocking set of systems as I currently live in? 

BUT, OTOH, IF there really is a creator, how far above my paygrade or capabilty of understanding is his mind? So far above as to be incomprehensible? You'd end up with people having all sorts of stories about God and what he wants and what we should do to get along in his creation...

For me the fact that every Christian I've ever engaged with has more resilience and sangunity with lifes problems than the athiests or "make it up as you go long types" that I've met (your experience may vary, I can only play the cards I've been dealt) and are generally (from my perspective) more "deal capable" and reliable bodes well for it as a system to turn to when one runs out of ideas. I can also see how a bible written for very primitve goat herding people woudl be full off irrelevant and seemingly false concepts when viewed today, from a totally different perspective, and I'm assuming God did to when he gave us the new deal of christianity. The idea that ONE MAN living a perfect life can make such a huge difference as jesus christ did, is empowering and inspiring. So many of this countries crumbling humanitarian infrastructure was born out of christian ideals, so heck there are many worse ways to live than being a Christian. It won't make me rich though. 

But it has made me happier, and appreciate what I have more. 

Evil works the same way whether it comes from an imp whistering into your ear,or a rap song exhorting you to join "the life". Sorting out the good from the bad is a very hard job sometimes, and having a rule book that has served for literally thousands of years, to use as a guide, doesn't seem such a riscible idea. And you don't need a burning hell to fear, all the evil people I've observed or known are intrinsically messed up and miserable people. All the evil I have tried myself has come with unexpected costs and complications, and ultimately was "best avoided" with the benefit of hindsight although at the time I was so convinced it was a smart way to go...

My God, is pretty unknowable in totality, his plans unguessable, BUT the Christians are 100% right, it is worth making the effort to learn about him. The world makes more sense and seems more "navigable" when you do. And following the basics isn't even so onerous when it comes right down to it, and it leads to a reasonably fullfilled life, with the guarantee of an after life. Our much vaunted science (much vaunted 'cos it works!) gives us about 12 dimensions now, only 4 of which are accessible currenlty to most of us, that leaves plenty of space for demons or an after life or all sorts of other mysteries & entities to hide in...  This life could well be the easy bit, like the visible point on my non existent avatar and the incomprehensible land of dreams may be where you gain limited access to those dimensions.

I do feel a bit sorry for those who really have no basic framework of life given to them at an early age such as my early christian training, or those poor people who were given that advantage and then discarded it in their teens, as they have to whomp up an answer from scratch for every dillemma, adn sometimes life does not give you sufficient time to do the research.. Christianity, hinduism, bhuddism, islam, judaism, all give their children useful and largely true basic life training that fills in the gaps in those awkward little moments  and gives those who need one a reason not to rob and adulterate thier way through life..

Or something.

• I hear randomness spoken of a lot when this subject is raised. It would indeed be astonishing if the universe came to be in the form it is through a 'series of random events'. However, the laws of physics are anything but random. In fact, it is precisely the non random nature of the physical laws in our universe that has enabled complex life to emerge. The planets came about because of gravity (amongst other things)- a structured and uniform process. Life on earth is in its current state because of evolution- again, an unguided although entirely non-random process.

I would also point out that if god is unknowable, then by definition, it wouldn't be rational to believe that it exists. We can't know anything about things that are unknowable, even whether it is possible that they exist.

When this topic comes up, I sometimes feel that people talk at cross purposes, because for some people, belief in god is about giving their life structure or a moral framework, etc, as I Sperg has described. That might be fine. However, it would be of course be a fallacy to say that the belief is true for that reason (a proposition isn't true or even more likely because anyone finds it helpful). For me, only the truthfulness of the proposition is important, regardless of the consequences. Making our starting positions clear would probably help to avoid misunderstandings.

• My dad beat me at draughts (very similar to checkers) between the ages of six until sixteen when I finally handed him his ass in a sling. He never played me again... When playing board games where you can easily beat the opponent it pays to change the game, for oen where you are less competent. Most people aren't like me (us?) and will continue for ten years palying the same game until they can beat you. And for good reason too! Who wants to be a "one trick pony"?

I like "games", I can unleash the full measure of my competiveness without ruining someone elses life, or making them poor. Whereas in real life I don't really like either winning or losing unless the other person comes out of it O.K. too. (Unless you try to oppress me directly, then I'm never happier than when I finally crush such people) In some "games" one can practice "deceit", as a part of the skill required to play the game sucessfully, "Poker" & "Illuminati" being two stand out examples. Which for me is good as I don't like doing it in the real world, but am equally keen to be able to identify adn defend against it, which does require practice, of course.. Much the same way as I enjoy a good game of "Doom", but unlike many players in the genre, I don't have the slightest desire to have to do it in real life. But when you get a strong gaming skill, then it's a bit of a charachter flaw to want to keep crushing the same players, suddenly you are playing a different game, to the one on the table in front of you...  As my dad found out that day. And as I did, too. He wasn't really interested in the actual game at all, he just needed to beat me in a different way, on those days, and to be honest it's a bit sad really.. 

We all want to "win", the question is how high to you set your sights?

For me, I try to get a win-win scenario in real life, and oft times that is a harder fight than simply crushing my opponent and with real consequences. "Games" allow to one to practice the required skills safely. For those who have genuinely set themselves against me, and are determined to win at all costs, a real win I have found can only be achieved by walking away and refusing the game. Even if you take them on and you crush them, you only won a game that you didn't really want to be playing anyway. It's also how you beat Satan, I believe, if you are into that sort of thing.  

• My dad beat me at draughts (very similar to checkers) between the ages of six until sixteen when I finally handed him his ass in a sling. He never played me again... When playing board games where you can easily beat the opponent it pays to change the game, for oen where you are less competent. Most people aren't like me (us?) and will continue for ten years palying the same game until they can beat you. And for good reason too! Who wants to be a "one trick pony"?

I like "games", I can unleash the full measure of my competiveness without ruining someone elses life, or making them poor. Whereas in real life I don't really like either winning or losing unless the other person comes out of it O.K. too. (Unless you try to oppress me directly, then I'm never happier than when I finally crush such people) In some "games" one can practice "deceit", as a part of the skill required to play the game sucessfully, "Poker" & "Illuminati" being two stand out examples. Which for me is good as I don't like doing it in the real world, but am equally keen to be able to identify adn defend against it, which does require practice, of course.. Much the same way as I enjoy a good game of "Doom", but unlike many players in the genre, I don't have the slightest desire to have to do it in real life. But when you get a strong gaming skill, then it's a bit of a charachter flaw to want to keep crushing the same players, suddenly you are playing a different game, to the one on the table in front of you...  As my dad found out that day. And as I did, too. He wasn't really interested in the actual game at all, he just needed to beat me in a different way, on those days, and to be honest it's a bit sad really.. 

We all want to "win", the question is how high to you set your sights?

For me, I try to get a win-win scenario in real life, and oft times that is a harder fight than simply crushing my opponent and with real consequences. "Games" allow to one to practice the required skills safely. For those who have genuinely set themselves against me, and are determined to win at all costs, a real win I have found can only be achieved by walking away and refusing the game. Even if you take them on and you crush them, you only won a game that you didn't really want to be playing anyway. It's also how you beat Satan, I believe, if you are into that sort of thing.  

Children
No Data