Career change from nursing

My daughter is a senior nurse. National lead for multiple sclerosis but getting paid less now than 10 years ago (after inflation) loads of other senior nurses leaving from her teaching hospital. "claps don't pay bills or show genuine appreciation" especially when MPs gave themselves a pay rise despite hardly going to parliament and at the same time refused the nurses.

She feels walked over

There is a nursing crisis which is being ignored.

What. career to change to? Become a doctor or the financial world or what?

I feel I've failed her. Autistic failure to focus on my gaughters needs 

• There are a lot of jobs in the medical industry that can bring you a substantial income. So just browse the internet, or you can speak with people that also work in this industry. I'm sure they will give you a piece of good advice. Personally, I have found my job on the https://www.exploremedicalcareers.com/ekg-technician/ platform. So she can also check out these types of platforms. I am sure she will be able to find something. Hope your daughter will be able to find an excellent job for her.

• You haven't failed her - society has. She picked her own career and a brave, if thankless, choice it was too. It's a pity we don't value her better as a society.

You are right. My soon to be ex husband and a senior charge nurse, used to avoid coming home at 'clap time' because neighbours might see him then in uniform. He knew it was a gimmick nobody, least of all the government, actually believed.

Sounds like your daughter has a good brain. She'll find her way and she will be a huge loss to the nursing profession. We, as a society, should have taken better care of her and ours is the failing, not yours.

• If she really loves working in the medical industry, I recommend she change her job.

• But I still want to remain a nurse and help people. Yes, my job is often not very rewarding, just like teachers these days, but I don't hang my nose and don't give up. I'm still a frequent user of hashtagnursing.com and put up ads for nursing jobs. I babysit for an elderly couple, but they passed away two years ago. I miss their company and am now looking for a similar job, with similar lovely clients.

• There are opportunities in the pharma and other sectors for someone with her creds and the income would (eventually) be astronomical in comparison to nursing. But they have to pay that sort of money because it isn't really what most nurses want to do.

I agree that nurses, teachers and other professions are under paid.  Not sure what the solution is. But those who feel they've done their bit in the trenches can transfer to more remunerative sectors if they're determined to do so, and if they are capable of making the psychological change required for a move to private industry (or, indeed, willing to do that). It's a whole other world, with a whole other mentality. It's not for everyone.

• These days you have to do specific social work qualifications or training schemes to be a social worker. Just in case anyone else is interested in this career option. Not that I recommend it!

• Is she autistic too? 

I'm not sure how her wanting to change profession is your failure. I'm a qualified social worker and changed role in the pandemic (still related to SW but with a different job title). I'm currently looking at taking a step even further away from social work. Certainly isn't anything to do with the failure of my family, more the failures of our government!!! 

• Unfortunately, this world will not get full justice anytime soon. Deputies for the next generation will definitely be robbing the rest of the population, no matter how sad it sounds.

• A lot of people do well from going to university later in life. It definitely helps get a higher paying job. It depends what she's interested in what she could do. My mother around the age of 50 went to uni to study psychology after many years of being a stay-at-home mother. She had been let down by the education system. The school she went to in inner-city Manchester was quite dire. Getting that degree led to her becoming a social worker and as a result of working for the rest of her working age life, she ended up getting significantly more pension than she would have had she not worked and the wages also paid for a better house for my father and her. She wasn't that confident she could do it when she started either.

• You didn't bring up a girl that became a nurse by being 'A Failure.'

My Aunt-in-Law was a Senior Nurse. My Uncle was a Foreman. They are minted. My Cousins have high-up careers. I could NEVER match them; no matter how hard I try. But I can only focus on myself.

Can your Daughter afford to go back to Uni? Open University, perhaps?

• Nursing is a tough job. What does she want to do? Does she still want to do nursing? I don't think doctors actually get paid that much, especially after all the years training and deciding on a specialty.

Could she go further with her national lead role? Maybe develop that? 

I feel I've failed her. Autistic failure to focus on my gaughters needs 

I'm not sure what this means but she sounds successful in her role and that doesn't seem like someone that's been failed.