Anyone with interoceptive hypersensitivity?

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has experience of this - it's basically being overly aware of your bodies needs - even if you don't know how to deal with them - hunger, thirst, hot cold etc.  I'm trying to read into it but most sites are aimed at treating children and limit interoception to being aware of your own heartbeat - when it's much more complicated than that.

Basically, not being able to shut my body up, or ignore it's discomforts is the main source of my meltdowns/ shutdowns and I need to learn how to manage it, but there appear to be very few resources that will help.

Does anyone else have similar issues - if so, do you have coping mechanisms?  Are there any good sites out there that look at the adult experience?

I'm just very frustrated that I've pinpointed a core issue, and seem to have no access to learn how to deal with it!

I have other sensory processing issues, but they fade into insignificance compared to interoception.  The only time I get a break is when I'm immersed in research (which is rare, as I run a household and have a full time job) or asleep.

Parents
  • Hi Cloudfire,

I am not sure whether it's too late to reply to your post now as it was nearly a year ago and I'm new to the community. I think I have a similar issue and also find it hard to find any information. It feels like it's harder to shut out than some senses as you can't just put ear defenders on its always with you!

Let me know if you still want to chat.

• Hi Cloudfire,

I am not sure whether it's too late to reply to your post now as it was nearly a year ago and I'm new to the community. I think I have a similar issue and also find it hard to find any information. It feels like it's harder to shut out than some senses as you can't just put ear defenders on its always with you!

Let me know if you still want to chat.

Children
No Data