Wild Camping?

I am currently going through an episode of agoraphobia which started before the COVID19 outbreak and the virus has only made it worse BUT I am starting to do some exposure therapy techniques and slowly introduce the idea of leaving my house. 

I always loved camping as a child and would frequently set up camp and do bush crafting out in my mums garden. It was deffo a hyperfixation for me. I have recently rekindled that hyperfixation and I have a real want and need to get back into it.  

I would really love to go on a nice hike and do some wild camping as an end goal for my exposure therapy. 

But for the time being, I am going to start camping in the garden again, like I did as a child. Taking baby steps at first, going out there for an hour and if I feel like staying out there then I can, but if I want to come in, then that's fine too. But I have to make it the whole hour at least. Then gradually over time, increase the cut off time until overnights is possible, then bump it up to spending the weekend in my little campsite. 

My question is, does anyone else have a hyperfixation with camping? Wild camping experience? Do you think it would be cool if a wild camp / hike trip was organized so a small group of auties could get together and bond over the love of camping and being autistic haha. Because that would be something I would be interested in once I am out of this episode haha. 

Parents
  • I like camping. I have only ever been camping on campsites or in the garden back when I was kid. 

The first tent I slept in was my granddads and it was just a little thing and as it had aged a lot it wasn't waterproof and I woke up soaked. Still liked it though. 

When I went camping with family before health deteriorated I was always the last one to wake up, showing how comfortable I felt sleeping in the tent.

Wouldn't know where to start with wild camping though. I like the idea of not going to a campsite but a lot of places bring the police out if they see someone camping out anywhere they want. 

• thats why you have to check in with the land owners. Its usually advertised online if people with farm land and lots of acres if they are wild camping friendly. So you dont have to worry about police or of riff raff coming across your tent and messing around. 

• I'd do wild camping if there was an accessible version of wild camping. 

One thing I like to do though is getting outside without the wheelchair and carry a light, fold up camping stool. And I go for short walks in woods and find a place just to sit and then see if anything happens, wildlife wise. I like those moments and I think I'd probably like it if I was camping out in some of those spots for the night or whatever. 

• that sounds lovely. I love sitting quietly in nature and just watching life go by. Havent done it in such a long time 

Reply Children
No Data