Obsession with a peer

My 8 year nephew has a diagnosis of Autism, he is currently in mainstream school and has a 121 TA, and while he is doing really well, he has a obsession with a child in his class, nobody can talk to the child or if the child is not where they are supposed to be, he gets very upset and aggressive, can anyone give any advice on how we can help him ? Thanks 

Parents
  • Hi!! I was this child when I was younger. Its more like they have latched on to one person, and any attention that the other child shows to someone else, your child is thinking that their friend is being taken away or they dont like them anymore.

I had my first episode of this in primary school and the child moved away, I didnt latch back on to someone for a few years and then latched on to another for a couple of years. It will be fine, they will be heart broken when the other person drifts away. But they will find the next person and that person will be their best friend or partner later on in life. It works out, it just seems hard when your there. They will experience resent from this, but will quite happily walk back in and get hurt again. Try some sharing exercises or invite more children in to their friendship. My mum worked in my school and was fully trained for aiding autistic children, she did this with me and it was fine. 

Most autistic people get obsessive about things and some choose a person. Or they can only cope with a few people at a time. 

• Thanks so much for your response, this is really helpful Slight smile

Reply Children
No Data