Bad joints from being autistic?

Hello everyone I saw on google that autistic people can suffer from a variety of things such as joint problems I have big problems with my knees tendinitis and a couple times dislocation I have to wear knee braces when I go out and my shoulders crack and feel achy a lot.

so I was just wondering if anyone else had had these kind of problems because you can’t trust everything you read on google.

Parents
  • I read something about this in the past. (I’m going o miss-quote the science!) It’s something along the lines of: heightened anxiety causes an increase or decrease (can’t remember which) in cortisol or serotonin, which then affects the lubricants around your cartilage, causing inflammation and discomfort.

As anxiety is a common feature in autism, hey-presto! Sore joints.

• I read something about this in the past. (I’m going o miss-quote the science!) It’s something along the lines of: heightened anxiety causes an increase or decrease (can’t remember which) in cortisol or serotonin, which then affects the lubricants around your cartilage, causing inflammation and discomfort.

As anxiety is a common feature in autism, hey-presto! Sore joints.

Children
  • That makes a lot of sense. I'm anxious most of the time, unless I am in familiar locations and settings. I told my GP that I use my cross trainer 4 times a week for 40 minutes. I was running 5km at the beginning of the year, but was finding it a real struggle in lock down, I think I got Covid beginning of February. It took me ages, to get back to my cross-trainer and hopefully in a couple of weeks I will start running again. In both cases though, I wasn't sore (muscles or joints ) after exercise, in fact I felt OK. I think the GP i spoke to (not my normal one) didn't have a clue. Whats more annoying is that I did see my normal GP the time before, prescribed me with Naproxen (which worked, for the months supply I was given) and said that if I still had issues, suggested psychotherapy. The GP this time didn't mention any of that !