Diagnosis Strategy

Hi Folks,

Like many other first time posters here, I’m looking for help to navigate the diagnosis process.

I’ve never had much reason to deal the health service before (for which I am grateful) so the whole thing feels very daunting and I’ll be honest, I am definitely procrastinating to avoid confronting The Big Scary Thing. But I’m also very conscious that the process can go very wrong if you’re not well prepared. However, I am feeling ever more burnt out, with no let up in sight and I simply cannot carry on like this indefinitely.

I am fortunate enough to both have private medical insurance through work, and also have the means to pay for a direct private assessment if needs be – again I acknowledge this privilege and I’m grateful for it.

I am not clear on whether the insurance would cover assessment (Vitality if anyone has a precedent to share). It rules out “treatment, including investigations and assessments, related to developmental problems and learning difficulties” and lists ADHD, dyslexia as examples. But it DOES cover consultations and diagnostic tests with a clinical psychiatrist/psychologist. My reckoning is that once you’re talking to the consultant, and they recommend it, then insurance should cover it. But there’s a possibility that the front line Dr might dismiss a direct autism request.

So my current strategy is to go via private GP complaining of general issues (burn out, constant anxiety, the usual stuff), then if that gets through to a consultant then explore ASD options with them.

It feels stupid, and I guess the risk is not getting a correct diagnosis. But if it increases the chances of diagnosis being covered by insurance then great, right?

Appreciate any thoughts or reflections on that plan. Is it a waste of time and effort?

Also, do people think there’s any value in registering for assessment through NHS with the intention to withdraw from the waiting list if/when I sort something privately. So purely for the statistics? Or am I just adding more reasons to put off doing The Big Scary Thing

Thanks all, appreciate your inputs, and i promise to contribute back to the community more further down the line if i can.

And happy Bi-Vis day ~ I reckon a few folks on here will resonate. I see you Blush hi!