Struggling to cope with ASD mother

OK, so the title probably covers it!!!

For a number of years now my autistic mother has been living with myself and my husband because we knew that she would struggle to live independently. 

Anyway in January we welcomed our first child and I thought it was a lovely thing to have three generations under the same roof. Mum struggled when baby cried but would just take herself out of the way when it became too much for her. 

Fast forward 6 months and its becoming more and more difficult.

Tonight was the straw that broke the camel's back as my mum nearly gassed us all by mixing together two household chemicals so that she could clean more effectively.

Now she has done something that has actually put my baby in harms way. I'm beginning to think that its not possible to live under the same roof. 

Parents
  • I'm an mum to a 10-month-old. To re-cap your mum struggles to live independently, plus she suffers from sensory overload, as such living with a baby has been a difficult time for her. Despite this, she's used strategies to cope without adding any further burden onto you and she is also finding time to help out the house hold by carrying out cleaning tasks etc. Your mum sounds great!

Looking after a baby is hard. In the last ten months both I and my husband have left naked flames on the cooker numerous time, gone out and left doors unlocked etc. These mistakes are normal.

Subconsciously do you think the change in circumstances has made you re-think your life and now your looking for any reason to justify asking your mother to leave?

• I'm an mum to a 10-month-old. To re-cap your mum struggles to live independently, plus she suffers from sensory overload, as such living with a baby has been a difficult time for her. Despite this, she's used strategies to cope without adding any further burden onto you and she is also finding time to help out the house hold by carrying out cleaning tasks etc. Your mum sounds great!

Looking after a baby is hard. In the last ten months both I and my husband have left naked flames on the cooker numerous time, gone out and left doors unlocked etc. These mistakes are normal.

Subconsciously do you think the change in circumstances has made you re-think your life and now your looking for any reason to justify asking your mother to leave?

Children
No Data