masks

Well, no more shopping for me. Not sure what I'll do about food.

I've only been leaving the house for the past month to go food shopping anyway. Now I get to lose that. Or add £100 to my shopping bill.

I'd understand if I felt it would make any difference but most of the people wearing masks are doing so in a way that increases their infection risk, not reduces it. Meanwhile you don't have to wear a mask to go to work, or to go to the pub, or to go to the barbers.

So it all feels very pointless, which adds to the stress of not wanting my face covered, not wanting my glasses to steam up, not wanting the skin damage behind my ears that a mask will cause. So no more shopping. No more food. I guess I need to lose some weight..

• I do not like having my face covered myself, but i do it as a safety precaution. 

• Use a buff, can sit that just under rim of glasses so they won't steam up (best with the coolmax versions, more breathable) and you can wash them, I actually started using them originally to help with olfactory sensory issues so way before the pandemic outbreak, but now serves two purposes I suppose.

• Still haven't been shopping since.

Running out of food.

• I feel the same. It was lovely when the 'non essential ' shops first opened and we could go in without masks - the staff in my local Primark, Wilko and shoe shop were so helpful and welcoming. I had to get a prescription from Boots last week - wore a face covering for the first time and really struggled with it. Felt anxious the whole time and had sensory issues with my skin after taking it off.

I get a weekly groceries delivery - I don't find it more expensive than shopping in store.and delivery costs are less than travel costs (I don't have a car) I don't need to wear a mask to take in the bags of shopping and the delivery drivers don't wear them when delivering and are usually very friendly (I'm not shielding and have never had to)

I have decided that if I really need to go to a shop I will do so and wear an exemption badge. The GOV.UK website has a printable badge or card, or a version you can download into your phone. I've printed a couple and have ordered a set of 2 lanyards with card holders online to put them in. The gov.UK website explains you don't need any proof of exemption, but they have provided the cards/badges in case people feel more comfortable using them. 

• p.s. you can print off the exemption cards, you don’t have to buy them and it’s good to have an autism alert card as well but that takes some organising if you haven’t got one yet 

• You don’t have to wear a mask, you’re exempt. I don’t wear one and have only been asked about it once and the lady just asked me if I was exempt, to which I said yes and then we got talking. I said it’s just as distressing for me seeing people in masks as I don’t look at people’s eyes, I look at the mouth area. She said when she first saw people wearing masks she would look at people & think why are you wearing that but now, since they became mandatory, she looks at people not wearing them and thinks why aren’t you wearing one - mind control is working :( so even though I don’t wear one, it’s still distressing seeing others in masks and there’s always a level of anxiety that someone will challenge me. Oh, and the lady in the shop wasn’t wearing one, she said she didn’t have to because she was behind a plastic shield and that when she did wear one, she got a terrible headache and the elastic behind her ears created pressure and was sore, yet she was criticising people who didn’t wear one :( But you don’t have to wear one and can get an exemption card from hidden disabilities website 

• Did she shout "Murderer!"? A stupid old lady did that to me on a bus despite the driver accepting my lanyard and badge. It upset me so much ( i had only got the bus because it was raining heavily) that i had to get off and walk the rest of the way home in the rain; I then cried for hours. 

• Just got back from Sainsburys - week 2 of not wearing a muzzle - generally, no problem except one crazy woman panicking and reversing out of the aisle that I was in and sitting nervously at the end.       She hovered there for at least a minute (I was going to stare at those beans for as long as it took for her to make a decision)  suddenly, she got the courage to race past me hugging the far side of the aisle.    Smiley

Another couple in the freezer section were frozen to the spot  Smiley    Again, they didn't say anything, but they couldn't decide what to do - carry on as normal or panic and reverse out.        I think I need a leper bell to make my presence known - the lanyard obviously isn't enough.    Smiley

• wait till amazon's new supermarket service arrives,,, then we all will be doing our food shoping online

• Sainsburys are the go to shop as they will give you a sunflower lanyard and they allow you to shop without a mask. I cannot wear one because of sensory issues; i have a severe panic attack if i even try. My partner gets the shopping or we order online; I shop for EVE RYTHING except food online now and will as long as the current lunacy persists. I use Sainsburys as a last resort if I run out of things and they have been really considerate.

• Some differing experience. I've been wearing a mask in shops since March. I was following WHO advice generally, but reading between the lines on what they said on masks and supplies to the public, thinking and seeing the experience Czechia wanted to share and SARS aerosol transmission, it seemed to me to cut risk of transmission enough to be worthwhile in shops. So when you get used to it, you realise mask-wearers are being considerate. I don't wear glasses, but would like to think a good seal with the clip around the nose might minimise misting. I don't really have sensory sensitivities, but do have sensitive skin and not had a problem from straps.

But that was my experience. Since there was an exemption for autistic people from wearing masks on public transport, and they're saying 'certain disabilities' will be exempt in the case of shops, it does seem likely you won't absolutely have to wear one.  I generally carry a communication card, but you don't have to have one (like those from NAS or AARGH) to be exempt. I suppose you could carry a diagnosis letter...

• I am in the same situation.

Shops are already very stressful.

I do not think I will go to shops if a mask will be required.

• they ( police ?)  wont enforce this - so dont worry. The supermarkets/shops are saying already they wont be enforcing mask wearing.

• Hello, I share the same thoughts about people making judgements without understanding the many difficulties we face when wearing a mask. I do have a sunflower lanyard and a Autism alert card so recomened  this option. As soon as the requirement was announced, I worried about this issue and how it will affect us Autistic's. I just hope that there will be understanding out there.  

• Even though not publicised widely, the same exceptions apply as for public transport.  There are downloadable cards on the internet although at the moment they mention exempt from wearing on public transport, I would have thought there will soon be a generic card.   You can also get one from the hidden disabilities store but the cost of postage is exorbitant.

The big problem though is that the Twitter sphere will be full of busybodies saying people aren't wearing masks and this will be also the case in shops where, card or not, others will pass judgement.  

I am looking at making my own on a lanyard from the hidden disabilities picture on the internet and laminating it.  It will look the same and serve the same purpose without the cost.  It won't prevent the busybodies though.

• get it delivered to your door! sign up for online shopping, just add what you need to your basket and on checkout there's usually a box to type in for delivery instructions.. type in that you are shielding (or self isolating) and they should leave the shopping at the door and step back so you can open the door and take in your shopping. 

• I share your anxiety about this. Although for me seeing other people in masks freaks me out because everyone looks slightly threatening!

Lets be honest though it has nothing to do with reducing infection rates and more to do with reassuring NT’s that it’s “safe” to go out and spend money.