Autistic partner during Corona Crisis

Looking for some support/insight. 
My partner is autistic (recently diagnosed) and has become obsessed with the Coronavirus debate. He consumes every item of media he can - Radio 4 on the alarm clock, 24 hr news in the background (both currently working from home), listening to podcasts whilst cooking/doing chores, news are on when we’re having dinner. I might be able to wrangle one hour’s worth of a TV programme out of him. He is extremely anxious about food shopping and is self- medicating quite heavily at the moment.
I suffer from OCD and my compulsive behaviour and rumination have worsened over the last few weeks. 
i know that this has now become a special interest and I can’t expect him to just ‘snap out of it’ but is there anything that helps others distract themselves? I have compiled a monthly plan of activities and weekly plan but he does not want to engage with that.
I feel utterly drained by it all - we talk about nothing else - and my mental health is worsening to the point where I am now shutting down. 
many thanks in advance and stay well everyone x

Parents
  • I too am finding myself obsessed with corona virus updates - including regular checking of a variety of social media sites that friends and family are okay as well as scrolling through newsfeeds. I don't play it however. I have also been compulsively stocking up as I am scared we could end up with no food and no supplies for our family of 4. I know logically we are likely to be fine - however one of the issues for me - is that I also have favourite foods - as does my autistic daughter and we would struggle if we couldn't have those specific items... So it isn't a matter of do we have enough food or products - but do we have the right ones.

I am glad going shopping with him helped today. My husband tells me straight out he doesn't want to know the latest factoid - and that if he does he will read it for himself. 

I find the best distraction for me is work - or art (painting)

• If you have a garden you could grow some food. I usually grow ours anyway but I saw an article advising people to try it this year. Its generally quite easy to do. I only have a small concrete yard so I grow in pots. Growing is also meant to help mental health

• Thanks - we have fruit trees and bushes already so do grow some but yes that is something I've considered. I also found a pack of wild flower seeds that you could just shake and grow which I am hoping will also help

Reply Children
No Data