Noise sensitivity solutions

Hi,

does anyone have any suggestions for coping strategies regarding noise sensitivity? the party wall with my neighbour is really thin. I already use foam in the ear ear-plugs but I don't like them down my ear. I have got some sennheiser Hd 280 headphones too but they just arn't practicle all the time. Have also tried etymotic research ear plugs but don't like them down my ears.

The noise doesn't have to be great for me to hear it and get really worked up. It means that I really want to move house...that just seems impossible..... It is all making me very unhappy and the one place (my studio) where I go to recharge is not quiet and private.

Has anyone tried the soft putty like ear plugs at all?

Frown

• what is the best brand of noise cancelling headphones? Which are the most comfortable?

• I take your point Jon about it making them noisier, though if there are neighbours the other side, they might complain too. I also understand about how intrusive it is to have people inside to do work.  I too rationalise when they are not being unreasonable, it is their music that bothers me the most. I struggled with understanding how people could be so inconsiderate. It mosly doesn't occur to them, and when it is brought to their attention they do not understand that it is painful and takes over the brain making it impossible to concentrate on anything, because it doesn't have that effect on them. If they find somone's music a bit loud they just turn their own up louder!

When I moved noise was the main issue. Ideally I would have my nearest neighbour 100 metres away, but that's not going to happen! Unfortunately we cannot chose our neighbours.

• Silver100 said:

Is the property yours Jon?  I am just wondering about if it would be possible to put some noise insulation material on the joining wall.  I know such material exist but not much about it. It may be expensive, but if the property belongs to a council you may be able to get them to pay for it as it is clearly a disability issue.

Yep we own the house and have thought about sound insulation. It would maybe cost quite alot to do it properly and would be massive intrusion. We have reasoned that it may be best to move house (seems impossibly difficult too) as in the lng term that is a more successful strategy. If the neighbours are not going to be considerate and have an understanding then the sound insulation route may even escalate the problem as they assume there is no noise transmission (we are pretty quiet). Being considerate is just a part of living in a mid-terrace but some people can't seem to do that. I would find it difficult even if we had the quietest of neighbours but I can rationalise and work with that.

• I've been diagnosed with severe hyperacusis, sound is by biggest problem - I can't stand loud or low frequency noises or repetitive noises or certain types of music with heavy bass, I went to hospital and had my ears tested and was given two little hearing aid type things that play white noise - sounds like a radio out of tune. They are supposed to train your ears to get used to certain sounds. I can't stand doors slamming, its like a mini explosion and makes my heart jump, so obviously raises stress levels if done over and over, and people who live in my block seem to think that its ok do to this at all hours of the morning.

I don't think wearing them has helped much - but have found that having them is a big help when it comes to people making noise that I cannot get away from, they are useful as I can point them out and tell them their noise is interfering with my ears. By doing that I got the neighbours to stop playing loud music which drove me mad for years but has stopped for the last 2 months and also when I help my friend at the market theres often some idiot who thinks its acceptable to have loud (c)rap or other music booming and in the past when I asked them to turn it down they virtually told me to get lost, but when I show the aids and tell them the noise is giving me a problem they resign themselves to having to turn it down.

I'm desperate to live somewhere quiet as well, but same as you, right now it seems impossible. You ask NAS for help and all they do is send you PDF files of other places which is taking ages to get through. Thought there were here to help.

• Is the property yours Jon?  I am just wondering about if it would be possible to put some noise insulation material on the joining wall.  I know such material exist but not much about it. It may be expensive, but if the property belongs to a council you may be able to get them to pay for it as it is clearly a disability issue.

• .....ear  plugs are pretty uncomfortable and tend to fall out sometimes...they also effect my spacial awareness....Even with them in I can still hear noises from next door. I lay in bed last night with ear plugs in and over that I wore isolating headphones playing music. i couldn't really hear much outside noise but I couldn't sleep and had to stay on my back. Pretty impracticle. It was gone nine o'clock and there was banging and hoovering. To be honest though even if they were just quiet noises it would bother me but its just too much to cope with.

I am thinking about taking anti-depressants again but I think its wrong that I should have to. Why am I wrong and the world is right?

Frown

....also I risk damaging my hearing.....

• I have a problem with the radio and TV being on too loud. I put my own music on in my room with the door shut, I sometimes wear earplug but I can't wear them all the time - they hurt and are itchy - when I need a break from it I go for a walk in the countryside.

• I havn't seen anyone from ENT. Not sure how they could help? I really don't like trying to get help for anything. I just get so stressed and feel so frustrated, fobbed off and bad with myself afterwards.

• Yes, sorry. It is ears, nose and throat.
  • i do believe (correct if wrong) ears nose and throat at the hospital...

• stranger said:

Have you asked to be seen by someone from ENT? Although they were rubbish with me. Confirmed that I am hypersensitive to hearing; but gave me no advice.

What is ENT?

• You have my sympathy. My neighbours think that slamming doors at 11.30 at night (I know it's not that late; but I don't want to hear it) and shouting at their dogs is ok.

I've tried musicians customised ear plugs and they're awful, painful and itchy. I was given 2 packs (about 50 pairs) of ear plugs and they seem to have helped a bit.

Have you asked to be seen by someone from ENT? Although they were rubbish with me. Confirmed that I am hypersensitive to hearing; but gave me no advice.

• I just put on soft music or the radio at a nice level, even if I am not using that room. I create a buffer zone. I also do a meditation were I wait/listen for the silence in between the noise, I call it the silence noise gap. So, I am utilising the noise to relax.

Tried the clear silicon earplugs,, no use.