first assessment

I have just had my first assessment. 

I have got to wait another ten weeks for the second one.

It has left me feeling very anxious 

Has anyone else had this experience ?

Parents
  • yep :) 

we've all been there :) I had a Psychiatrist appointment in May 2019, because my anxiety was getting worse. I forwarded him a whole lot of notes and to my surprise, suggested I had Asperger's !! I then had to wait until July for an consultation to determine whether I should have an initial assessment - so this was stressful, not knowing if the Psychiatrist was right or not. Then I had a couple of more sessions in July/August but had to wait until mid-Sept for the diagnosis ie Asperger's a second time :)

So the whole period from May to Sept 2019 a stressful time, thinking do I actually have Asperger's? Am I a fraud? Have I been mis-diagnosed etc etc.

But in the end it all makes sense BUT (for me at least) it's too late to change anything :( Coping mechanisms and Masking far too ingrained II am 55 btw)

• Why do you call it ASC rather than ASD? is it a semantic issue?>

Lots of people get hung up over the Asperger name due to Nazi links..just wondered if you dont like the word "disorder"

• The NHS don't like using the term "Disorder" due to possible prejudice and now refer to Autism as ASC. I just use the term described in my diagnosis, although I asked them to add a paragraph to say that I would have been diagnosed with Asperger's - in order to link it to my Psychiatrist diagnosis.

I don't have a personal preference but Joanna Hoskin in the Channel 5 "Are you Autistic" was diagnosed with Asperger's by Prof Simon Baron Cohen and when I saw that program, I thought "I'm exactly like her" - so I have since associated myself with Asperger's. 

• The NHS don't like using the term "Disorder" due to possible prejudice and now refer to Autism as ASC. I just use the term described in my diagnosis, although I asked them to add a paragraph to say that I would have been diagnosed with Asperger's - in order to link it to my Psychiatrist diagnosis.

I don't have a personal preference but Joanna Hoskin in the Channel 5 "Are you Autistic" was diagnosed with Asperger's by Prof Simon Baron Cohen and when I saw that program, I thought "I'm exactly like her" - so I have since associated myself with Asperger's. 

Children
No Data