Useful tips for an NT

I’m finding so much of you’re help so insightful and it is helping me understand bits and pieces about my partner and the relationship. I posted yesterday and got great advice so thankyou for that :) 
Id love lots of responses to this so I can find a solid understanding. 
What exactly does an ASD man want from his NT girlfriend? In all aspects of the relationship? We are in our early 30’s have children (from previous relationships) and own a house together so I feel like there are actual commitments here. We established he had ASD about a year or so into the relationship and have been trying since to figure out ways to make it work. Any help or tips are all very welcome. I love my partner so much and very much want it to work and for us both to be happy. 

Parents
  • What does 'NT' mean please? I'm new to all this, I've seen this a few times in these forums but don't know what it is! Thank you.

• What does 'NT' mean please? I'm new to all this, I've seen this a few times in these forums but don't know what it is! Thank you.

There is NT, NA and ND as meaning Neurologically Typical, Atypical and Divergent ~ with NT's referring to those who think and behave in the normal more generalized way; NA's the slightly more eccentric way usually associated with Personae (usually but incorrectly referred to as Personality) Disorders, epilepsy and or gender variations, and ND's referring to people who exhibit more unusual behavior in terms of diverging or differing from the behavioral norm such as with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome.

Most people just use the term Neuro' Typical (or NT) to refer to those who are not on the autistic spectrum, and Neuro' Divergent (ND) is used to refer to those who are on the autistic spectrum.

There are few on the spectrum who are not so obviously divergent from the norm in behavioral terms (i.e. those who can 'fit in', 'mask' or 'socially camouflage' themselves) that prefer to think of and call themselves as being Neuro' Atypical (or NA).

Here follows a thread link covering several takes on the NA consideration if you feel inclined to understand it a bit more:

I'm not 'ND' I'm 'NA' ...

And for contrast here is another thread asking about the NT way of life:

How do neurologically typical people feel and experience life?

There is NT, NA and ND as meaning Neurologically Typical, Atypical and Divergent ~ with NT's referring to those who think and behave in the normal more generalized way; NA's the slightly more eccentric way usually associated with Personae (usually but incorrectly referred to as Personality) Disorders, epilepsy and or gender variations, and ND's referring to people who exhibit more unusual behavior in terms of diverging or differing from the behavioral norm such as with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome.

Most people just use the term Neuro' Typical (or NT) to refer to those who are not on the autistic spectrum, and Neuro' Divergent (ND) is used to refer to those who are on the autistic spectrum.

There are few on the spectrum who are not so obviously divergent from the norm in behavioral terms (i.e. those who can 'fit in', 'mask' or 'socially camouflage' themselves) that prefer to think of and call themselves as being Neuro' Atypical (or NA).

Here follows a thread link covering several takes on the NA consideration if you feel inclined to understand it a bit more:

I'm not 'ND' I'm 'NA' ...

And for contrast here is another thread asking about the NT way of life:

How do neurologically typical people feel and experience life?

Children
  • Thank you very much Deepthought, this is all very helpful to me and maybe others too. I will go away and have a read. I've been trying not to use the term 'normal people' to describe the majority who find social interactions etc easy so it's useful to know. I'm learning all the time.

• people who exhibit more unusual behavior in terms of diverging or differing from the behavioral norm such as with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome.

Are there really well defined 'official' definitions? :)

Well a really well defined 'official' one might be the following one from Wikipedia possibly?:

Neurodiversity describes a basic aspect of natural difference within a given species. The term was popularized in the late 1990s by Australian sociologist Judy Singer and American journalist Harvey Blume to refer to variation in the human brain regarding sociability, learning, attention, mood and other mental functions in a non-pathological sense.[1] The term emerged as a challenge to prevailing views that certain neurodevelopmental disorders are inherently pathological and instead adopts the social model of disability, in which societal barriers are the main contributing factor that disables people.[2][3]

The subsequent neurodiversity paradigm has been controversial among autism advocates, with opponents saying that its conceptualization of the autism spectrum doesn't reflect the realities of individuals who have high support needs.[4][5][6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurodiversity

I was under impression that ND, or neurodivergent stands for neurologically different, i.e. people with autism, ADHD, dyslexia, dispraxia etc. The neurological difference affects and defines to a large extent the way people come across.

I was under a similar impression in terms of describing the same state of affairs in a slightly different way, which you added to with the ADHD, dyslexia and dyspraxia etc for further clarification. :-)

• people who exhibit more unusual behavior in terms of diverging or differing from the behavioral norm such as with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome.

Are there really well defined 'official' definitions? :)

I was under impression that ND, or neurodivergent stands for neurologically different, i.e. people with autism, ADHD, dyslexia, dispraxia etc. The neurological difference affects and defines to a large extent the way people come across.