I'm not 'ND' I'm 'NA'...

I realise that a lot of people will say... "Who are you to try to change the language we use?" or "Well, NT & ND are embedded in society now so there's no point trying to change things..."

But I don't care.

I'm not 'Neurodiverse' vs. the general population who are 'Neurotypical'

I'm 'Neuroatypical' in a 'Neurodiverse' population, where the majority are 'Neurotypical'

typical
adjective - having the distinctive qualities of a particular type of person or thing.
atypical
adjective - not representative of a type, group, or class.
diverse
adjective - showing a great deal of variety; very different.

So, in the same way that people are self-identifying as having ASC (Autistic Spectrum Condition) on the basis that 'Disorder' is pejorative, I'm self-identifying as 'Neuroatypical'.
Stuck out tongue closed eyes
Parents
  • Wow you found a category that I can fit in! 

I am not nt as have abi and parts of the brain don't work how they should (others are working to well apparently)  

Was told nd doesn't fit as to normal 

So where did that leave me? Thanks for this!

• You're welcome!

I feel this fits with self-advocacy as well - I should be able to describe myself in a way that I feel fits me and I see this as analogous to the 'explosion' of diversity of gender/sexuality descriptors in recent years.

As well as being a more semantically correct description.

The human population is neuro-diverse, but there's also diversity within the neuro-typical AND neuro-atypical populations...

Anyway, I doubt it'll catch on, but that's not the point - if I'm going to have a label I want it to be MY label!

• You're welcome!

I feel this fits with self-advocacy as well - I should be able to describe myself in a way that I feel fits me and I see this as analogous to the 'explosion' of diversity of gender/sexuality descriptors in recent years.

As well as being a more semantically correct description.

The human population is neuro-diverse, but there's also diversity within the neuro-typical AND neuro-atypical populations...

Anyway, I doubt it'll catch on, but that's not the point - if I'm going to have a label I want it to be MY label!

Children