How to deal with obsessions

Hi everyone 

I was wondering if anyone else experiences this , but I find that I can get obsessed with something very easily , for example if I like an idea then I will think obsessively about how to go about it , research it etc. I find I have multiple obsessions at the same time which are constantly going round in my head which makes me exhausted, trying to figure out how to do my obsessions , for example planning a trip away or funding an activity. 

I tend to also get bored quickly so my obsessions can fizzle out in a matter of days/weeks , but some go on for months. Does anyone else experience this too? 

any advice would be greatly appreciated :) 

Parents
  • I experience obsessions too - some good, some bad. I have both autism and OCD, so I have to work out which obsessions are positive (i.e. I enjoy them and explore them because I want to), and which are causing my harm (i.e. the obsessions are linked to compulsive thoughts/behaviours that are either harmful, or cause distress). 

My positive obsessions (or special interests) tend to fluctuate over time; some fizzle out, whereas others remain lifelong interests. Some examples include:

• Learning about/spending time with dogs (or animals in general).
    • Reading as much as possible (all genres, whether fiction or non-fiction).
    • Writing creatively (particularly poetry).
    • Learning languages.
    • Playing music.
    • Learning about autism.
    • Learning about mental health.
    • Doing puzzles.
    • TV programmes or films, or even characters/actors from TV and film.

As long as the obsessions are benefiting you in some way (e.g. helping you to relax, or helping you to learn/achieve something) and not putting you at a disadvantage (e.g. they put a strain on your finances, or on your relationships with the people close to you), then I see no harm in letting yourself enjoy them. Just try to check that you're engaging in the activities because you like them, not because you feel forced to (e.g. my OCD would trick me into thinking bad things would happen if I didn't to certain activities, but I engage with my autistic special interests because they fascinate me).

• I experience obsessions too - some good, some bad. I have both autism and OCD, so I have to work out which obsessions are positive (i.e. I enjoy them and explore them because I want to), and which are causing my harm (i.e. the obsessions are linked to compulsive thoughts/behaviours that are either harmful, or cause distress). 

My positive obsessions (or special interests) tend to fluctuate over time; some fizzle out, whereas others remain lifelong interests. Some examples include:

• Learning about/spending time with dogs (or animals in general).
    • Reading as much as possible (all genres, whether fiction or non-fiction).
    • Writing creatively (particularly poetry).
    • Learning languages.
    • Playing music.
    • Learning about autism.
    • Learning about mental health.
    • Doing puzzles.
    • TV programmes or films, or even characters/actors from TV and film.

As long as the obsessions are benefiting you in some way (e.g. helping you to relax, or helping you to learn/achieve something) and not putting you at a disadvantage (e.g. they put a strain on your finances, or on your relationships with the people close to you), then I see no harm in letting yourself enjoy them. Just try to check that you're engaging in the activities because you like them, not because you feel forced to (e.g. my OCD would trick me into thinking bad things would happen if I didn't to certain activities, but I engage with my autistic special interests because they fascinate me).

Children
No Data