Menopause making autism more intense

Hi

Any older women going through or been through the peri-menopause/menopause? Did it make your autism more intense?  ...for the whole time of going through the menopause or just the weeks when your period would have been due?

I'm 50 and really struggling with severe mood swings, complete change of personality, left social media and isolated. go from feeling lonely to feeling resentful if someone texts me and I feel they're going to want to visit. Have become severely agoraphobic and hate crowds though can cope with going on quiet walks with the dog if I go when no-one else (or as few people as humanly possible) will be there.  so will set off in the dark very early am to reach the field/park for just as its turning to daylight so we have the place to ourselves etc.

What are other women's experiences of going through the menopause? Did it change your behaviour and/or personality completely?  go from calm to extremely anxious or rage within a few seconds?

I live very isolated and its up to a month wait for a GP appointment though none of them have experience of autism anyway so just wanted to know if my symptoms were 'normal' for an autistic woman, even if they were more intense than what a non-autistic woman would go through?

Thanks

Kit

Parents
  • I was forced into menopause by cancer surgery at the age of 41. It was pointed out to me by an Autism Assessor nearly a decade before earlier that I might want to consider getting assessed, but I put it off.

Alas menopause was simultaneous with me having to stay home because I was extremely clinically vulnerable, and I was at home for almost 2 years and only allowed back into my workplace at 2.5 years (our workplace was high risk), so I find it hard to know which made my autism suddenly seem more obvious to me. Those 2 years at home only seeing my husband were the best my mental health has ever been.

So it's hard for me to know if those 2 years being able to really 'be myself' caused me to become 'more autistic' or if it was menopause, maybe a combination of both. Back in the real world now I certainly don't mask as well as I did before.

LJ

• I was forced into menopause by cancer surgery at the age of 41. It was pointed out to me by an Autism Assessor nearly a decade before earlier that I might want to consider getting assessed, but I put it off.

Alas menopause was simultaneous with me having to stay home because I was extremely clinically vulnerable, and I was at home for almost 2 years and only allowed back into my workplace at 2.5 years (our workplace was high risk), so I find it hard to know which made my autism suddenly seem more obvious to me. Those 2 years at home only seeing my husband were the best my mental health has ever been.

So it's hard for me to know if those 2 years being able to really 'be myself' caused me to become 'more autistic' or if it was menopause, maybe a combination of both. Back in the real world now I certainly don't mask as well as I did before.

LJ

Children
No Data